Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open a pdf file in preview

I am confused. I have been reading pdf files in preview since a couple of years and now it seems to have disappeared. In fact preview seems to have disappeared. What am I missing.

Posted on May 16, 2022 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 3:25 PM

Preview has not disappeared because it is installed by the operating system and you cannot delete it for that reason. Preview should automatically open if you double-click on a PDF document in the Finder.

If it does not, then click once on any PDF document and press option+cmd+i to open a Finder information panel. There will be an Open with section on that panel that by default, should be set to the Preview application. If not, then do so, and then click through the Change All… button to make Preview the default again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 3:25 PM in response to thebabs44

Preview has not disappeared because it is installed by the operating system and you cannot delete it for that reason. Preview should automatically open if you double-click on a PDF document in the Finder.

If it does not, then click once on any PDF document and press option+cmd+i to open a Finder information panel. There will be an Open with section on that panel that by default, should be set to the Preview application. If not, then do so, and then click through the Change All… button to make Preview the default again.

How to open a pdf file in preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.