Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Service missing

iTunes running on Win 10 Pro (21H2) desktop PC.

Updated iTunes from 12.10.11.2 to 12.12.3.5 directly from the Help menu in iTunes, and installed without using a download from the Microsoft Store. After it installed, iTunes won't recognize my iPod Shuffle 4th Gen. It still plays tracks from my tunes library on the PC.

Looking at Windows services.msc, Apple Mobility Device Service and Bonjour Service are both listed and running. iPod Service is not listed, as it was before this update.

I did a complete uninstall of iTunes, rebooted PC and installed 12.12.3.5 again. Same problem...no iPod Service is installed and iTunes doesn't recognize my Shuffle.

Uninstalled iTunes again and installed 12.10.11.2 using an old download saved on my PC. Now iPod Service is listed in services.msc and iTunes sees my Shuffle again.

What's the problem with 12.12.3.5...?

Posted on May 16, 2022 5:22 PM

14 replies

May 17, 2022 11:31 AM in response to hero1321

Hello hero1321,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Please make sure you've completed all the steps on this Apple Support page for If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Here's the info:

"If your computer doesn't recognize your connected device, you might see an unknown error or a "0xE" error. Follow these steps and try to connect your device again after each step.

1. Make sure that your iOS or iPadOS device is turned on, unlocked, and on the Home screen.
  2. Check that you have the latest software on your Mac or Windows PC. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version.
  3. If you see a Trust this Computer alert, unlock your device and tap Trust. If you can't unlock your device because you forgot your passcode, find out what to do.
  4. Unplug all USB accessories from your computer except for your device. Try each USB port to see if one works. Then try a different Apple USB cable.*
  5. Restart your computer. 
  6. Restart your iPhoneiPad, or iPod touch.
  7. Follow these additional steps for your Mac or Windows PC
  8. Try connecting your device to another computer. If you have the same issue on another computer, contact Apple Support."

Please reach out to Apple Support directly if the issue remains per step 8, if needed.

Cheers!

May 17, 2022 12:50 PM in response to hero1321

Thanks for checking that info.

Did you fully remove iTunes? Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later.

Then, check the options to reinstall iTunes

"Reinstall iTunes and related components

After you make sure that iTunes is completely uninstalled, restart your computer (if you haven't already). Then get the latest version of iTunes for your PC:

If the issue persists, get help:

• If you got iTunes from the Microsoft Store, contact Microsoft Support.
  • If you downloaded iTunes from Apple's website, contact Apple Support."

Thanks.

May 18, 2022 12:12 PM in response to DBordo

I contacted Apple Support (via phone) as JovonaP. suggested. They said my iPod Shuffle 4th Gen is "obsolete" and there's nothing they can do to help me.

They didn't seem to understand this appears to be an issue with iTunes 12.12.3.5, which doesn't install iPod Service in Win 10, and this may also affect new Apple products when used with a Windows PC, if iPod Service doesn't get installed.

DBordo Are you using a Win 10 PC? Did you check to see if iPod Service is installed and running by opening services.msc (Click Start>Run>type in: services.msc and click OK)? Also look on that same services.msc list for Apple Mobile Device Service, which also needs to be running. Just don't change anything, unless you know what you're doing..!

To be honest, I don't know if an iPhone13Pro needs iPod Service when connected to a Windows PC. But it's clearly required for my Shuffle.

I found an Apple link for iTunes 12.10.11 for Windows (Windows 64 bit) but I don't know how that differs from 12.10.11.2 or if it will install iPod Service - or not. Didn't try to download it.

Bottom line: I'm sticking with iTunes 12.10.11.2 and my "obsolete" Shuffle...

[Link Edited by Moderator]

May 19, 2022 11:23 AM in response to hero1321

hero1321

Tell me about it. Back to the 12.10.11.2 now until another IOS software update is released for the iPhone. I just let the phone update wirelessly on its own for the most recent phone update 15.5. Thankfully no issues during update. Before I went back to 12.10.11.2 I completely swept the system clean and found this link to be useful for anyone else looking to perform a clean install of a known working iTunes version: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

May 17, 2022 12:43 PM in response to justin_900

@justin_900 - Thanks for the response, but that doesn't solve the problem because the iPod Service isn't being installed with iTunes v12.12.3.5 on this PC. I even used 7-Zip to unzip the iTunes64.Setup.exe file for v12.12.3.5 but didn't find anything that would install the iPod Service.

The one and only thing that gets the iPod Service installed in Win 10 (21H2) on this PC is to revert to the previous version of iTunes, v12.10.11.2. And after I launch iTunes v12.10.11.2, it recognizes the Shuffle as soon as it's plugged into USB.

As a further test, I uninstalled the working iTunes v12.10.11.2 and that removed iPod Service. I then installed v12.12.3.5 again (3rd time) but it didn't install the iPod Service, so iTunes doesn't recognize the Shuffle (fails diagnostics.) Uninstalling v12.12.3.5 and installing v12.10.11.2 installs the iPod Service, and v12.10.11.2 recognizes the Shuffle again (passes diagnostics).

So something is clearly wrong with v12.12.3.5...

Thanks.

May 17, 2022 6:48 PM in response to Eric--F

Eric--F - I check for updates on the iTunes Help screen and let it download the latest iTunes64Setup.exe update onto my Win 10 PC. When I double-click that downloaded .exe file, I'm offered the option to get the update from the Microsoft store or to install it "outside the store". I always choose "outside the store". The v12.12.3.5 update from Apple should automatically replace all of the existing files with the newest versions, but iPod Service never gets installed.

When I manually remove iTunes, I use Revo Uninstaller which launches the iTunes uninstaller first, and when that's done, Revo shows all the "leftover" files/folders which I manually delete. So all of it should be gone.

After manually uninstalling Apple's v12.12.3.5 using Revo, I install Apple's v12.10.11.2, outside the Microsoft store. I've done these manual uninstalls with Revo several times now in past few days, followed by reinstalls, always outside the Microsoft store.

Apple's v12.12.3.5 never installs iPod Service, but v12.10.11.2 always installs iPod Service which is needed for iTunes to recognize my Shuffle.

I have not tried installing the latest iTunes update from the Microsoft store...

May 18, 2022 8:57 AM in response to hero1321

hero1321, I'm really interested in what you've found out if you were able to get further. I'm in the same situation and I cannot update my iPhone13Pro with the 12.10.11.2 software as it makes you update to 12.12.3.5 so I'm in a never ending cycle of Apple software doom. I repeat your very accurate statement above "something is clearly wrong with v12.12.3.5" There needs to be another update and the next update needs to be sure that both iPod Service and iTunes helper. Ridiculous owning the latest and greatest tech from Apple and I cannot even connect to its proprietary software to update accordingly so I have a PC backup created incase of any issue.

May 18, 2022 6:51 PM in response to hero1321

Hello hero1321,

Under the services.msc the Apple Mobile Device Service is there and running actively. Sorry to hear they have deemed Obsolete. How hard could it be to simply maintain that software... I digress.

The last perfectly fine working version of iTunes was 12.10.11.2. Now both the 12.12.3.5 original problematic update and even newest release tonight 12.12.4.1 are missing two main items iPod Support service (not installed) and iTunes Helper (is not running).

While attempting to update my iPhone's IOS software I get a "unknown error occurred (4000)" The reason I like to do this via the PC/iTunes is because as you update your phone IOS it will create an image/backup of your current working phone so IF anything goes wrong during the IOS update, its easy to restore back to the very last working image.

I've also noted that when I connect my iPhone, iTunes no longer auto launches - this makes sense as I believe that to be a function of iPod support services.

What missing each item does:

*iTunes tends to install iPod support services to detect any device you connect to iTunes. Installing the support service helps iTunes to detect your iPod.

* iTunes helper is an Apple utility that is automatically installed on your Windows or Mac once you install iTunes. It automatically launches when you start up your PC and runs in the background while you're working

May 18, 2022 6:54 PM in response to DBordo

hero1321,

PS, When I went back to 12.10.11.2 and everything was working again; as soon as I went to update my phone's IOS software iTunes stated it could only update my phone with the LATEST iTunes software. So you can see where I'm going here. But yes, by going back to 12.10.11.2 I had everything green lighted when I ran diagnostic both iPod Support service and iTunes Helper were active.

May 19, 2022 11:11 AM in response to DBordo

DBordo - What a mess they've made of iTunes for Windows!

Have you contacted Apple Support? Your iPhone 13 isn't "obsolete" so what's their excuse about this iTunes problem with Windows? The more people who complain directly to Apple Support might make it more likely they'll fix this.

That said, it sounds -to me- like they're trying to stop users from using iTunes on Windows PCs simply by making it impossible for the latest versions of iTunes to recognize Apple devices in Windows.

Guess you'll have to keep reinstalling iTunes v12.10.11.2 every time they force a new update on you, at least until (if) they fix it.

May 19, 2022 6:14 PM in response to DBordo

As I said above, I use Revo Uninstaller (free version). It will run the iTunes uninstaller first and then show all the leftover items so they can also be deleted, including some leftover Windows registry entries.

Using Revo is efficient and safe because Revo sets a Windows System Restore point before it does anything, so if any problems should occur, the uninstall can easily be undone.

People need to keep nagging Apple support to fix the problems with iTunes vs Win 10, and/or they will have to learn to use work-arounds...

Jul 3, 2022 11:05 AM in response to hero1321

I have the same problem as you when I try to install 12.12.4.1 . I have found that after 12.11.0.26 none of the versions I have will install the iPod service. I think that all iPods are now obsolete since Apple want to focus on streaming rather than downloads.

My latest working version is 12.11.0.26 and I am sticking with that because I feel Apple will not be continuing with iTunes much longer. I may have this wrong but I thought they were going to release a new piece of software for syncing iPods. I think the best thing is to look for entirely new products to do this until Apple have a replacement that works.

Good luck.

Jul 3, 2022 2:40 PM in response to ShortExtent

As long as my iPod Shuffle is working OK and I can use iTunes 12.10.11.2 to manage it, I am not going to replace the iPod, no matter what Apple wants...

I don't want an iPhone or any of their other products, so this Shuffle will be my first/last Apple device.

The real question is if the new versions of iTunes doesn't work properly in Windows, why are they even bothering to offer updates for Win 10 PCs? This whole mess started when they pushed that new version of iTunes on me. I've now blocked iTunes from accessing the internet on my PC, so it won't be able to find/install any future iTunes updates.

iPod Service missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.