Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad slow as molasses after updating iOS to 15.5

Just updated and nothing works. WiFi connects briefly and only after 20 minutes. Apps don't update. Mail doesn't load. Almost bricked.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on May 16, 2022 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 3:25 AM

If I can add my 2 cents to what has already been suggested, and if a forced restart does not help, something could have gone wrong during the latest update procedure.

I would try to install a fresh copy of iOS/iPadOS. To do this, create a full backup of your iPhone/iPad (1), then restore it to factory settings (you need a computer to perform this step) and, in the end, set it up as new (2).

When done, restore data from your previously made backup (3).

Follow the instructions provided in these support articles:

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If the issue still persists, contact Apple Support directly using this link:--> Get Support or, even better, make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 3:25 AM in response to DavidDavid

If I can add my 2 cents to what has already been suggested, and if a forced restart does not help, something could have gone wrong during the latest update procedure.

I would try to install a fresh copy of iOS/iPadOS. To do this, create a full backup of your iPhone/iPad (1), then restore it to factory settings (you need a computer to perform this step) and, in the end, set it up as new (2).

When done, restore data from your previously made backup (3).

Follow the instructions provided in these support articles:

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If the issue still persists, contact Apple Support directly using this link:--> Get Support or, even better, make an appointment (*) and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple – Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

(*) You can do it:

May 17, 2022 1:52 AM in response to DavidDavid

Having performed the system update, perform a forced-restart of your iPad - as doing so will often resolve significant performance deficit that may rarely occur after a system software update:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Subsequent to a system update, performance is likely to temporarily impacted while background tasks - such as re-indexing the filesystem - run to their conclusion. Normal performance should return within a few hours, or at worst a day or so. Connecting your iPad to its Power Adapter during this time can often help - as power hungry processes are not contending with battery management.

May 16, 2022 9:16 PM in response to DavidDavid

DavidDavid Said:

"iPad slow as molasses after updating iOS to 15.5: Just updated and nothing works. WiFi connects briefly and only after 20 minutes. Apps don't update. Mail doesn't load. Almost bricked."

-------

Rid of "System Data" (Formerly Called "Other"):

Back up your iPad, and then restore your iPad form a backup. For reference, refer to my User Tip:  Clear Other Storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

May 17, 2022 7:43 PM in response to DavidDavid

Thank you for the suggestions. Essentially restarts did not work. I ended up backing up to my Macbook and restoring, which in essence means taking the iPad to factory status with fresh iOS. Took a while but it works fine now. Something definitely happened during the update to 15.5. Of course, since Wifi or personal hotspot were useless, I had to connect to my Macbook via USB to do the back up and restore.

Thanks for everyone's help!

iPad slow as molasses after updating iOS to 15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.