Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live Photos in Memories movie

Whenever I used to create a slideshow video in IOS of a particular album or person the video would include sound and videos from my Live Photos. This created a beautiful memory video that I could edit and export as an .mov. Somewhere along the way this stopped happening. My memories slideshows are now just simple still photo slideshows instead of moving live photos. Why? How can I use my live photos in slideshows? Anyone else found a solution?

Posted on May 16, 2022 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 12:26 AM

The only way I found to use Live Photos in Photos slideshows is to create a second Photos Library, where I import the Live Photos as videos. To extract the video clip:

• Export your Live Photo with File > Export > Export unmodified Original. This will export a still frame and a video.
  • Delete the still frame and Import only the video to a different Photos library. Then create a slideshow using this video.

It is risky to import the video into the same library, as the duplicate detection might combine it with the original Live Photo and damage the Live Photo.

Or, if you want to save the animation effect, like bounce, export the Live Photo as an animated gif. Photos does not display the the animated gifs alive, either, but Keynote does. Wen I want an elaborate slideshow with Live Photos, I am using Keynote and export all Live Photos as animated gifs. A Keynote presentation can be structured with section titles and captions for the photos.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 12:26 AM in response to VVhitel2eaper

The only way I found to use Live Photos in Photos slideshows is to create a second Photos Library, where I import the Live Photos as videos. To extract the video clip:

• Export your Live Photo with File > Export > Export unmodified Original. This will export a still frame and a video.
  • Delete the still frame and Import only the video to a different Photos library. Then create a slideshow using this video.

It is risky to import the video into the same library, as the duplicate detection might combine it with the original Live Photo and damage the Live Photo.

Or, if you want to save the animation effect, like bounce, export the Live Photo as an animated gif. Photos does not display the the animated gifs alive, either, but Keynote does. Wen I want an elaborate slideshow with Live Photos, I am using Keynote and export all Live Photos as animated gifs. A Keynote presentation can be structured with section titles and captions for the photos.

May 17, 2022 11:29 AM in response to VVhitel2eaper

iOS 15 has changed the Memory feature considerably. Most of the improvements in Photos iOS are related to Memories, so Apple has invested a lot of work into them with this system upgrade. Only, the features we loved most about the Memories are gone now and we can now longer use them as a video editor or to create slideshows from our Live Photos. And we can no longer use our own music creations, we are limited to the theme music and Apple Music.

Just have a look at this page: iOS 15 - Features - Apple (UK)

It is an impressive list for Photos.

Photos

Memories: Apple Music

In addition to the hundreds of newly included songs, Apple Music subscribers can add any of the tens of millions of songs from the Apple Music library to enjoy on their devices.

Memories: song suggestions

Apple Music song suggestions are personalised just for you, combining expert recommendations with your music tastes and what’s in your photos and videos. Song suggestions can even recommend songs that were popular at the time and location of the memory, songs you listened to while travelling, or a song from the artist you saw for a concert memory.

Memories: Memory mixes

Customise your memory by swiping through Memory mixes, which let you audition different songs with pacing and a Memory look to match.

Memories: fresh new look

Memories has a fresh new look including animated cards with smart, adaptive titles, new animation and transition styles, and multiple image collages for a cinematic feel.

Memories: Memory looks

Inspired by the art of cinematography, 12 Memory looks add mood by analysing each photo and video and applying the right contrast and colour adjustment to give them a consistent look — just as the colourists at film studios do.

Memories: interactive interface

Tap to pause, replay the last photo, skip to the next or jump ahead, and the music keeps playing and the timing adjusts to keep the transitions on the beat. Change the song or Memory look, or add or remove photos, and the adjustment happens in real time, without the need for the movie to recompile.

Memories: Browse view

View all the content from your memory in a bird’s-eye view where you can add, remove, change the memory duration or jump ahead to another part of the memory.

Memories: new memory types

New memory types include additional international holidays, child-focused memories, trends over time, and improved pet memories, including recognising individual dogs and cats.

Memories: watch next

Memories suggests related memories to watch next after your memory finishes playing.

Memories: on-device song suggestions

Song suggestions are determined on device to protect your privacy.

Shared with You

The Shared with You section in the For You tab allows you to view photos and videos that have been shared with you in Messages. Photos taken when you were present also appear in All Photos and in Days, Months and Years views, and can appear in your Featured Photos and Memories, including the Photos widget. Save a photo to your library or respond to the sender in Messages.

Richer Info pane

Swipe up on a photo or tap the new info button to view information about the photo, such as the camera, lens and shutter speed, the file size, or who sent a Shared with You photo in Messages. You can also edit the date taken or location, add a caption and learn about items detected by Visual Look Up.

Faster iCloud Photos library initial sync

When you upgrade to a new device, iCloud Photos syncs more quickly, so you can get to your photo library faster.

Limited Photos library improvements in third-party apps

Third-party apps can offer simpler selection workflows when you grant access to specific content in the Photos library.

People identification improvements

The People album has improved recognition for individuals.

People naming workflow

Correct naming mistakes more easily in the People album.

Selection order in the Photos image picker

The Photos image picker, including in the Messages app, now allows you to select photos in a specific order for sharing.

Suggest less often

Tap Feature Less to let Photos know you prefer to see less of a specific date, place, holiday or person across Featured Photos, in the Photos widget, in Memories or highlighted in the Library tab.

May 17, 2022 10:01 AM in response to léonie

That’s a decent work-a-round. Still I wonder why I used to be able to do this easily and near effortlessly within the IOS photos app and now it doesn’t work the same way. I suspect it may have something to do with iCloud storage and the optimize photo storage setting. Just wish I could get a definitive answer. Especially if there is still a way to create the Live Photo-enabled slideshows like I used to not more than a year ago.

May 17, 2022 1:20 PM in response to léonie

Truly a shame that they took away Live Photos from the memories slideshow videos. The Ken Burns effect pales in comparison to how special and great the memories videos I used to be able to create were. Having the background music soften and watching these short little Live Photo moments of my kids was a big part of why I was a stalwart fan of apple products. Recently purchased a MacBook hoping to regain this functionality but it sounds like the issue lies with Apple software development removing this ability. I quite literally may end up returning this MacBook Pro if I can't find a way to recreate videos the way I was able to in IOS 14.

Live Photos in Memories movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.