Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail using too much RAM: 1-2GB per tab in Safari

Help,

Gmail is using crazy amounts of RAM in Safari on my MacBook Pro (2019 model)... I'd love some guidance on how to fix this problem. I'd really like to be able to use my MacBook like a regular computer rather than having to baby it by constantly closing Windows and re-starting etc.

Grateful for all tips and ideas!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 17, 2022 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 3:13 AM

Yes it is impacting my usage unfortunately. My MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM and Monterey (and Big Sur before) is very often in the yellow or red on RAM. The fan is often running very fast or full speed making a lot of noise. Safari and Opera use a large proportion of the RAM. In addition I typically use programs such as Outlook, Teams, Slack, Word, Powerpoint, Zoom and so on.

I have spent countless hours on the phone to Apple Support and done multiple re-installs of my computer. They tell me there is no hardware problem. They say it is likely software. Even when I do the re-install and add apps successifly I still quickly end up in the same situation... Is this a common problem? Anyone had this issue? Any ideas on what to do?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 3:13 AM in response to ku4hx

Yes it is impacting my usage unfortunately. My MacBook Pro with 8 GB RAM and Monterey (and Big Sur before) is very often in the yellow or red on RAM. The fan is often running very fast or full speed making a lot of noise. Safari and Opera use a large proportion of the RAM. In addition I typically use programs such as Outlook, Teams, Slack, Word, Powerpoint, Zoom and so on.

I have spent countless hours on the phone to Apple Support and done multiple re-installs of my computer. They tell me there is no hardware problem. They say it is likely software. Even when I do the re-install and add apps successifly I still quickly end up in the same situation... Is this a common problem? Anyone had this issue? Any ideas on what to do?

May 17, 2022 3:35 AM in response to ku4hx

I was afraid that might be the case... So many use of the same or similar usage on a PC and no problem. And now my fancy expensive MacBook Pro is not up to the task. Disappointing.

But back to my original question... is 1-2 GB of RAM or more normal for gmail or Facebook per tab on Safari? It seems like a crazy amount of RAM for a regular webpage.

May 17, 2022 2:54 AM in response to Seekinganswers61

Is this actually impacting your usage? As long as your memory pressure stays in the green, you have no problems.

Apps are supposed to use RAM and how much is determined by its developer, not the Mac.

Micromanaging your Mac is a fruitless venture. Use your Mac and enjoy it. When an actual problem arises, this is the place to come.

I run multiple apps simultaneously: AirPlay, Excel, Safari, Firefox, Mail, Messages, calendar and etc on a 2016 MBP 13" Retina with Monterey and it runs just fine on 8GB RAM. I've yet to move out of the green.

Gmail using too much RAM: 1-2GB per tab in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.