Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages listed twice in iCloud!

after the iOS 15.5 update messages is listed twice in the iCloud section of my iPhone.

What’s wrong? Anyone else having this use? iPhone 13 Pro Max iOS 15.5

Posted on May 17, 2022 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 5:19 PM

This is just not true. When Messages are enabled in iCloud, they’re synced to iCloud and *not* included in a backup. The same is true for iCloud Photos.

Refer to “2.” in the first section of fine print in this link: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

I have noticed the same in my iCloud Settings, but there are always 2 listings for both Messages and Photos. Everything is still syncing or backing up based on my settings, so I just leave it be.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 5:19 PM in response to jasonflying

This is just not true. When Messages are enabled in iCloud, they’re synced to iCloud and *not* included in a backup. The same is true for iCloud Photos.

Refer to “2.” in the first section of fine print in this link: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

I have noticed the same in my iCloud Settings, but there are always 2 listings for both Messages and Photos. Everything is still syncing or backing up based on my settings, so I just leave it be.

Jun 20, 2022 5:08 PM in response to jasonflying

That explanation the Apple Agent provided makes no sense whatsoever.

I’m noticing same issue you posted.

For me, Messages & Photos appear twice.

Spent some time watching this past week.

This is not a static setup - It fluctuates. Sometimes Messages & Photos is listed twice. Other times listed only once.

Turning button ‘off’ only impacts that one instance of Messages.

The other one remains unchanged.

No indication of difference between them.

No clue why this exists (and) changes routinely.

My iPhone is same as yours.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB running iOS 15.5

I tried the following -

Reset my network settings.

Power cycled daily.

Phone plugged in & display unlocked overnight.

Cellular only & WiFi only tried.

Jul 4, 2022 4:53 AM in response to jasonflying

Same issue here on phones and iPad. Have to love Apple and their non-existent software QA process. I can’t understand how a company with a very limited list of devices can have so many issues. I also have noticed messages get stuck in the cloud even when they are deleted from my devices. The safari setting also doesn’t sync anymore. My iPad randomly will say messages is now turned on. It’s always been turned on. Issues syncing messages to Apple Watch. Message notifications don’t always work. Only sometimes. Could have message and it never plays the message tone. It is not silenced and my ringer is on. So many bugs in eveything

Jul 16, 2022 5:58 AM in response to jasonflying

That is not true. I found 99% of the people that work for Apple have no clue what they’re talking about. The information you were giving is completely incorrect. We’re just making up a story to give you an answer. They have tons of bugs in their software and they just fail to listen to their customers. Instead, they’d rather make pregnant man emoji‘s. SMH

Messages listed twice in iCloud!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.