Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my computer is being monitored

I downloaded EtreCheckPro per advice I found in the forums. This is the result. I have no idea what Sophos is and how to get it off or delete since not even this program can find it. It does detect it though. Is there anything else you see that is incriminating? I do not want FortiClient having full disk access. That is the company VPN I use to login in to my work system for processing. This is my personal computer.

Also if I do a hard factory reset, will it delete all and everything so that if my computer is being monitored, that will be deleted as well? We have had issues of fraud with our bank cards, passwords being hacked for accounts we have stored on our computers...etc.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 17, 2022 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 11:25 AM

If you scroll way down in this Apple article:

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

It shows what to do about that. Although Sophos is unneeded, it has been around a long time and I do not recall its being classed as malware, unlike some other "protection" apps.

Your call if you want to use that workaround to delete it. Otherwise is is a manual delete. As I've never installed Sophos, I cant walk you through where to find all its files. If it shows up in Launchpad, you may be able to use that to remove it completely. See:

How to uninstall apps on your Mac - Apple Support

WHATEVER you decide, do not go to the internet and get a generic uninstaller. Almost all are scams and/or malware.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 11:25 AM in response to MrsKilpatrick74

If you scroll way down in this Apple article:

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

It shows what to do about that. Although Sophos is unneeded, it has been around a long time and I do not recall its being classed as malware, unlike some other "protection" apps.

Your call if you want to use that workaround to delete it. Otherwise is is a manual delete. As I've never installed Sophos, I cant walk you through where to find all its files. If it shows up in Launchpad, you may be able to use that to remove it completely. See:

How to uninstall apps on your Mac - Apple Support

WHATEVER you decide, do not go to the internet and get a generic uninstaller. Almost all are scams and/or malware.

May 17, 2022 10:41 AM in response to MrsKilpatrick74

Sophos is anti-virus: www.sophos.com. Perhaps it was moved by Migration Assistant from an older computer to the new one. Anti-virus software is unneeded and ill-advised.

Try this developer-supplied removal tool: https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000035182?language=en_US

Did you use the latest version of EtreCheck? Some useful data blocks are missing, including the part that show the version number, runtime information, and findings summary. Also missing is your drive performance data.

You do not have to highlight the report that shows on-screen to copy it. Simply use EtreCheck's built-in copy function:

This ensures that Etrecheck can scrub all personal information from the report without omitting useful sections.

May 17, 2022 10:36 AM in response to MrsKilpatrick74

Sophia is a third party Anti Virus app that either you or someone that you gave access to your computer installed. Please locate the developers Uninstall directions and please uninstall Sophos. Then restart in Safe mode and restart normally.

Finally after you have completed all of the above run a fresh EtreCheck report and look through it to ensure Sophos is gone.

I think my computer is being monitored

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.