Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud and long videos

I just got the iPhone 13 Smd I’ve been paying for the 2TB ICloud storage space. I read that videos don’t make it to the iCloud. So, I was trying to share a long video shot on my iphone, I got a message that the file was large and make sure I was connected yo power and wifi. So, I did, but I keep getting a message sayin the same thing, evrn though I am connected to power and wifi, plus I get a message saying I don’t have enough cloud space when I have 1.3GB of 2 TB being used. I am shooting videos to send to someone that will edit the videos to post online, the video info says it is 3.4GB

to be honest I am a completely dummy with this GB… TB… situation. But when i click on upgrade it says I have the largest storage possible, and I can’t figure out what’s going on.

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on May 17, 2022 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 4:41 PM

Thanks for the updated information, luciane209.

Earlier you mentioned that you weren't entirely sure what the difference is between GB and TB in terms of storage, and in a way that might be where the disconnect is coming from.

When we talk about storage it helps to have some examples so you can make rough comparisons to ballpark file sizes.

Nowadays you don't see as much with the smaller sizes below megabytes or MB, but you can think of a byte being the same as typing a single letter of the alphabet, a kilobyte could be a text document as it is 1024 times larger than a byte. A megabyte is 1024 killobytes and you can think of songs in the range of 3-5 MB on average and an app you download to your device starting in the 200-300MB range.

When we start talking about media, such as photos and videos sizes get larger. A high resolution photo could easily be hundreds or thousands of MB. A video can range from a few GB (which is 1024 megabytes) all the way up to a few TB (1024 gigabytes).

Since we're seeing this with a longer video, about 45 min in length, it is possible depending on the settings the video was filmed at that this could be much larger than you expect.

Try this:

• Tap the Photos app and scroll to the video.
  • Tap the video, it may begin playing.
  • On the bottom you should see an "I" with a circle around it. Tap it.
  • Some additional information will pop up, including the actual file size.

Let's find out what we are working with, and then we can figure out some ways to deal with the file in a way that makes sense. If it is too large for iCloud, you can always transfer it to a computer instead using this guide: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 4:41 PM in response to luciane209

Thanks for the updated information, luciane209.

Earlier you mentioned that you weren't entirely sure what the difference is between GB and TB in terms of storage, and in a way that might be where the disconnect is coming from.

When we talk about storage it helps to have some examples so you can make rough comparisons to ballpark file sizes.

Nowadays you don't see as much with the smaller sizes below megabytes or MB, but you can think of a byte being the same as typing a single letter of the alphabet, a kilobyte could be a text document as it is 1024 times larger than a byte. A megabyte is 1024 killobytes and you can think of songs in the range of 3-5 MB on average and an app you download to your device starting in the 200-300MB range.

When we start talking about media, such as photos and videos sizes get larger. A high resolution photo could easily be hundreds or thousands of MB. A video can range from a few GB (which is 1024 megabytes) all the way up to a few TB (1024 gigabytes).

Since we're seeing this with a longer video, about 45 min in length, it is possible depending on the settings the video was filmed at that this could be much larger than you expect.

Try this:

• Tap the Photos app and scroll to the video.
  • Tap the video, it may begin playing.
  • On the bottom you should see an "I" with a circle around it. Tap it.
  • Some additional information will pop up, including the actual file size.

Let's find out what we are working with, and then we can figure out some ways to deal with the file in a way that makes sense. If it is too large for iCloud, you can always transfer it to a computer instead using this guide: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

May 18, 2022 11:13 AM in response to luciane209

Hey there luciane209,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, we do want to let you know that videos would also be synced with iCloud; however, based on the screenshots provided you should have plenty of storage in iCloud for those items to sync. If having issues with your content not syncing with iCloud as expected, give the steps listed below a try that can help.

First, let's ensure that your updated to the most recent iOS version with the steps shown here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

We'd also recommend disabling Low Data Mode to help isolate the issue further. For help with that, check out this next resource for the best steps: Use Low Data Mode on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Let us know if that's able to help.

Cheers!

iCloud and long videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.