Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to get Finder on Windows?

I'd like to reset an old ipod nano my brother used to use and I'm wondering if there was a way I could get finder on my Windows computer. I heard that they switched it so you need to reset it in Finders instead of iTunes, but I can't find a download for Finders. Is it a software you can only get if you buy a Mac w/ it built in or are you able to download it somewhere on the apple website?

iPod Nano (5th Gen)

Posted on May 17, 2022 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 9:58 AM

Resetting an iPod nano means turning it fully off and then on again (as opposed to simply putting it to sleep). Usually, if an iPod is behaving in odd ways a Reset will fix it.

If resetting your iPod does not fix the issue, the next recommended step is a Restore, which is totally different (and as far as I recall from my own nano, still an option in iTunes). To Restore an iPod, connect it to iTunes and click on the device icon when it appears in iTunes:

That displays the Device/Summary pane and you will see the Restore button on this pane (the screenshot below shows my iPod Touch, but the iPod nano will show a similar screen, but without the iOS bit):

Note that a Restore will remove all the media (all your music) from the iPod. Any music that is not in your iTunes Library will be lost.

You do not need Finder.

However, if all you actually want to do is remove your music so that your brother can add his own, simply Sync (synchronise) the iPod with the iTunes Library he is using, or if you are sharing one iTunes, his selection of songs. That does not require a Reset or a Restore (or Finder).

AnonymousMoose289 wrote:

I heard that they switched it so you need to reset it in Finders instead of iTunes

That is not the whole story - iTunes still exists:

• for all Windows machines, use iTunes
    • for older versions of Mac (running OS Mojave or earlier), use iTunes
    • on a Mac running OS Catalina or later, there is no iTunes. Instead, one uses Finder (for all iPods)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 9:58 AM in response to AnonymousMoose289

Resetting an iPod nano means turning it fully off and then on again (as opposed to simply putting it to sleep). Usually, if an iPod is behaving in odd ways a Reset will fix it.

If resetting your iPod does not fix the issue, the next recommended step is a Restore, which is totally different (and as far as I recall from my own nano, still an option in iTunes). To Restore an iPod, connect it to iTunes and click on the device icon when it appears in iTunes:

That displays the Device/Summary pane and you will see the Restore button on this pane (the screenshot below shows my iPod Touch, but the iPod nano will show a similar screen, but without the iOS bit):

Note that a Restore will remove all the media (all your music) from the iPod. Any music that is not in your iTunes Library will be lost.

You do not need Finder.

However, if all you actually want to do is remove your music so that your brother can add his own, simply Sync (synchronise) the iPod with the iTunes Library he is using, or if you are sharing one iTunes, his selection of songs. That does not require a Reset or a Restore (or Finder).

AnonymousMoose289 wrote:

I heard that they switched it so you need to reset it in Finders instead of iTunes

That is not the whole story - iTunes still exists:

• for all Windows machines, use iTunes
    • for older versions of Mac (running OS Mojave or earlier), use iTunes
    • on a Mac running OS Catalina or later, there is no iTunes. Instead, one uses Finder (for all iPods)

May 17, 2022 6:40 PM in response to FoxFifth

Alright, but how do I get to where I can reset my iPod? I've tried right clicking the iPod name in iTunes and it comes up w/ 3 options; Eject, Tranfer Purchases, and Reset Warnings. I've tried pressing reset warnings and it says something on the top where the music playing is shown but it goes away really quickly so I can't read it.

Is there a way to get Finder on Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.