Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor not recognized MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch

I have a 13 inch 2017 Macbook Pro running Mojave. I tried to attach an external monitor, it did not recognize it when plugged in.

I have used the same monitor/cables combo successfully with this Macbook in the past but it did not work today.

I tried "Detect Displays" in settings, putting it to sleep, tried all four ports, nothing works.

The external hardware is good because I can attach it to a 13 inch 2018 Macbook Pro running the same Mojave and it recognizes the monitor just fine.

Concluding that the problem is with the Macbook, I installed Monterey 12.4 (which doesnt seem to have a "Detect Displays" option in settings) and it still doesnt recognize the external monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 17, 2022 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 8:19 PM

Hello I have listed a few troubleshooting ideas below that might help you:

• Test the monitor on a different device to ensure it is functional (eg. Windows Laptop, Xbox, iPad etc.)
  • Ensure the HDMI Port/Adapter on the MacBook you are using is functional (Try plugging in your laptop to a TV or something)

If none of these steps work then I would contact Apple support (apple.com/support)

I also have included an article below from the Apple Support website explaining how to properly connect a display to a Mac:

Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 8:19 PM in response to aglang

Hello I have listed a few troubleshooting ideas below that might help you:

• Test the monitor on a different device to ensure it is functional (eg. Windows Laptop, Xbox, iPad etc.)
  • Ensure the HDMI Port/Adapter on the MacBook you are using is functional (Try plugging in your laptop to a TV or something)

If none of these steps work then I would contact Apple support (apple.com/support)

I also have included an article below from the Apple Support website explaining how to properly connect a display to a Mac:

Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

May 18, 2022 6:16 PM in response to Dennison199

Thanks for your reply

"Ensure the HDMI Port/Adapter on the MacBook you are using is functional" not sure what this is. Is it integral to the Macbook or the rectangular device i plug the monitor'S HDMI cable into that then attaches. with the computers USB C port?

Everything external to the Macbook seems to be fine since the setup works perfectly with a 2018 Macbook Pro and had previously worked with the 2017 model (the one I am asking about).

I have upgraded it to 12.4.

Is there any settings I can check before judging it a hardware problem?

thanks!

Monitor not recognized MacBook Pro 2017 13 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.