Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

target mode over USB-c not working

I have 2 Mac books pro 15 with touch bar one from 2017 one with 2019. One I start it up in Target mode, one in normal mode. I connect them via original USB-c cable but I cannot see the drive on the normal boot laptop

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 17, 2022 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 6:33 AM

It either laptop are running macOS 11.x Big Sur, then you cannot use USB in Target Mode (thanks Apple) so you would need to use a Thunderbolt cable (lightning bolt on the connectors). See this Apple article for details:

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Edit: changed the OS versions to be correct with the article. Thanks @Grant!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 6:33 AM in response to andreifromdubai

It either laptop are running macOS 11.x Big Sur, then you cannot use USB in Target Mode (thanks Apple) so you would need to use a Thunderbolt cable (lightning bolt on the connectors). See this Apple article for details:

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Edit: changed the OS versions to be correct with the article. Thanks @Grant!

May 18, 2022 9:37 AM in response to andreifromdubai

andreifromdubai wrote:

Oh,
so the USB-C cable used for charging the laptop is not good. I will order one thunderbolt 4 cable.

To much confusion with this protocols

Agreed. The Apple USB-C charging cable only handles up to USB2 so transfers would be extremely slow anyway. It doesn't help that Apple changed Target Disk Mode for macOS 11.x+ either.

target mode over USB-c not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.