Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to replace my Airport Express with?

I've just swapped out my Airport Extreme router (400Mbps max) for an xFi Gateway: 600Mbps max.

No Airport Extreme I discovered means no functioning Airport Express.

I used the Express not so much to extend wifi signal (though it likely helped) but as a way to add ceiling speakers in our kitchen to the wireless network to be able to play audio from iOS devices over these speakers. They are wired to a ±13 year old Onkyo AV receiver (without USB or Ethernet jacks, but with audio and HDMI out jacks) . I used the receiver's audio output jack and the audio jack on the Airport Express to make the connection.

Scoping out modern extenders, I see they only have ethernet jacks, perhaps all of an "IT OUT" variety: which sounds like they only work in one direction?

Will the following work to duplicate the functionality I had with Airport?

• Buy an extender with at least one ethernet port
  • Using the requisite plug adapter, connect the extender's ethernet plug to either the receiver's audio jack or HDMI jack.

If not, do you have a suggestion on alternate path to achieving this?

Many thanks in advance for your guidance,

Peter L

Posted on May 18, 2022 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 3:05 PM

• Using the requisite plug adapter, connect the extender's ethernet plug to either the receiver's audio jack or HDMI jack.

No

If you need an extender, buy an extender.

Reset the current AirPort Express back to factory defaults and set it up again to "Join a wireless network". The Express will do everything that it did before except extend the WiFi.

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 3:05 PM in response to PTboy

No

If you need an extender, buy an extender.

Reset the current AirPort Express back to factory defaults and set it up again to "Join a wireless network". The Express will do everything that it did before except extend the WiFi.

How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

What to replace my Airport Express with?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.