Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 12.9" 5th Gen (M1) Heating with Excessive Battery Drain

Hi all,

I've had the 12.9" 5th Gen iPad Pro (with the M1 processor) for a few days now and I've noticed a unique issue that I never ran into with the 11" iPad Pro (M1 processor as well) - while using for an extended period of time (particularly with taking notes using Notability) the left side of the screen gets excessively warm (borderline hot) and the battery drains *very* rapidly. At its current rate of drain, I probably get 3-4 hours of use if I'm using my iPad for note-taking; even less if I'm multi-tasking while taking notes.

Here's what I've done...

• Turned TruTone off
  • Turned auto-brightness on (I prefer a dimmer screen anyways)
  • Limited Background Refresh to only 3 or 4 apps that need it.
  • Made sure that no app was using location services around the clock.
  • Turned off 'Share iPad Analytics'.
  • I've removed most of my home screen widgets - with the exception of my calendar.
  • I've turned it off and back on again.
  • I've performed a hard reset.

I have NOT performed a full factory reset as of yet.

I also use the smart keyboard and Gen 2 Apple pencil.

Is this a common problem that needs to be addressed in an update or have I gotten a dud of an iPad?

Thanks!

Posted on May 18, 2022 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 4:23 PM

I would probably contact Apple Support since I am pretty sure it's a hardware issue... I have the same iPad and I get around 10 hours of use out of it with my Logitech Combo Touch and Apple Pencil Gen2.

Apple Support contact info:

I hope this helps!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 4:23 PM in response to JonesP5

I would probably contact Apple Support since I am pretty sure it's a hardware issue... I have the same iPad and I get around 10 hours of use out of it with my Logitech Combo Touch and Apple Pencil Gen2.

Apple Support contact info:

I hope this helps!

May 18, 2022 4:21 PM in response to JonesP5

As the issue has been demonstrated to be related to a specific App, Notability, you might try “offloading” the Notability App from your iPad - and then performing a forced-restart of your iPad. Offloading removes the App while preserving associated App data - whereas App deletion will remove both the App and all data associated with it.

Offload

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2022/01/06/how-to-offload-app-iphone-ipad/

Forced-restart

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After performing the restart, you can re-install the Notability App from the App Store - and retest.

May 18, 2022 4:25 PM in response to JonesP5

If you are using the Apple Smart Keyboard, the one which the iPad attaches to magnetically, you will see much faster battery drain, especially if you are using the keyboard, because the iPad is not only powering the iPad, but the Smart Keyboard. I have now moved on to the Brydge Max + keyboard on my iPad Pro M1 and I quite like it - A LOT.

Are you taking notes via the keyboard or are you writing the notes using Apple Pencil? The later, would naturally cause more heating.

Otherwise some warming when in use with an app for a long period of time would naturally cause some heating. And the iPad has very smart thermal protection built in. If you are not seeing a temperature warning, it's not necessarily overheating.

I would also do as LotusPilot suggests and remove the Notability App and reinstall it.

May 18, 2022 4:34 PM in response to JonesP5

I found I had to charge my iPad way more than I wished using the Magic Keyboard. I once had a Brydge keyboard, but that was before trackpad support. Now Brydge has the Max + Keyboard for iPad Pro and it's terrific. It's Bluetooth, but has some magic in their Bluetooth, in that it is instant on with no lag at all. You charge the keyboard, via USB C, like once every 3 months or so. I don't have to charge my iPad Pro nearly as often now.

May 19, 2022 8:14 AM in response to JonesP5

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I deleted Notability and re-installed it. I don’t know if they happened to release an update as I was doing that (the App Store did not inform that it needed to be updated..), but upon re-installing it I found some additional features that I did not have previously. So it’s quite possible that something quirky had occurred when I first installed the app.

I also ditched Apple’s smart keyboard case and went with the ZAGG Pro Keys. I really like the extra protection it provides even though it means more weight for me.

I’ve noticed a slight bump in battery life when performing my other normal tasks (checking email, reading, etc.) but have yet to do any extensive note-taking, so I’ll provide an update once that happens!

Thanks again!

iPad 12.9" 5th Gen (M1) Heating with Excessive Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.