Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daily kernel panic Mac Studio Ultra

Hi everybody,

I am very happy with my new Mac Studio Ultra system. However, I am plagued by frequent kernel panics. There is at least one per day and I lose a lot of work progress.

The culprit is always   Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.driver.AppleT6002CLPC(1.0)

I have not been able to determine which device it is. Any idea what Apple T6002 CLPC is?

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 18, 2022 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 6:48 AM

I've had roughly ten kernel panics since getting my Mac Studio Ultra just under a month ago. The error reports range from LLC Bus errors to ApplePMGR errors or Sleep transition errors, but, regardless of what the error reports say, the kernel panics always happen at the same exact time — when my Mac is waking from sleep.

I don't have much of anything connected to the Studio besides my three 4K displays, a keyboard, a mouse and an OWC Thunderbay. Apple Support suggests the Thunderbay is the problem, but I've been using it for the past two years with my iMac without one single panic. And it's a critical part of my workflow since it contains all my work files so it's not exactly easy to test without it.

So, instead, I've replaced cables (even bought the ridiculously expensive Apple 4K Thunderbolt cable), changed how my displays connect to the Mac, even randomly changed which ports the displays connect to. Last night I even changed out my mouse. And while some of that seems to have helped, I do still get kernel panics every now and again. I had one this morning, in fact.

I've been using Macs since the 90s, and have owned a ton of different models over the years. But I'm not sure I've ever had one as unstable (or as expensive) as the Mac Studio.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 6:48 AM in response to holgerflick

I've had roughly ten kernel panics since getting my Mac Studio Ultra just under a month ago. The error reports range from LLC Bus errors to ApplePMGR errors or Sleep transition errors, but, regardless of what the error reports say, the kernel panics always happen at the same exact time — when my Mac is waking from sleep.

I don't have much of anything connected to the Studio besides my three 4K displays, a keyboard, a mouse and an OWC Thunderbay. Apple Support suggests the Thunderbay is the problem, but I've been using it for the past two years with my iMac without one single panic. And it's a critical part of my workflow since it contains all my work files so it's not exactly easy to test without it.

So, instead, I've replaced cables (even bought the ridiculously expensive Apple 4K Thunderbolt cable), changed how my displays connect to the Mac, even randomly changed which ports the displays connect to. Last night I even changed out my mouse. And while some of that seems to have helped, I do still get kernel panics every now and again. I had one this morning, in fact.

I've been using Macs since the 90s, and have owned a ton of different models over the years. But I'm not sure I've ever had one as unstable (or as expensive) as the Mac Studio.

May 26, 2022 4:47 AM in response to holgerflick

While it is certainly possible that there are issues which may be solved only by a firmware update, kernel panics may also be due to third party extensions or daemons - and that is especially likely if one migrated old stuff to the new mac.

I recommend running Etrecheck and posting its report here, using the additional text button, so we can look for possible issues.

May 30, 2022 9:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I made a little progress on this. In my case at least, it seems to be a combination of factors.

I have a Promise Pegasus2 Thunderbolt storage array from 2013 and I had my suspicions that it might have some challenge with the transition to Apple silicon. It seemed to work fine when I was using it, but again when the system was unattended it could kernel panic. So I unplugged the array when I was done for the day and there was no kernel panic!

Still, not a good solution. So I kept investigating, and I saw a reference (which I didn't save, sorry) to a similar complaint of panics when the M1 Mac went to sleep.

Two days ago, I disabled system sleep and left the array plugged in. No kernel panics since!

Want to share on record, for whatever it's worth.

May 30, 2022 9:37 AM in response to devoy

That's because Apple starting let email and other system. to sync to email servers and if a user Sid for automatic downloading of upgrades in managed sleep! So sleep has changed over the years! your best bet is turn off sleep and just shutdown to stop this until a genus can figured put how change this change!

Jul 28, 2022 7:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My Studio Max restarts automatically after normal manual shutdown (right out of the box). I spent a day eliminating any software and hardware issues, clean installed OS 12.5, restored from backup, and still had the problem. Apple Store diagnosed it and replaced the logic board and power button. However, I still have the problem. Off tomorrow to the Store to get a replacement--hopefully without a lot of fuss.

Jul 28, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Steven Schweizer

Steven Schweizer wrote:

My Studio Max restarts automatically after normal manual shutdown (right out of the box). I spent a day eliminating any software and hardware issues, clean installed OS 12.5, restored from backup, and still had the problem. Apple Store diagnosed it and replaced the logic board and power button. However, I still have the problem. Off tomorrow to the Store to get a replacement--hopefully without a lot of fuss.

If you installed, and then restored EVERYTHING from backup, you got back to where you started, thus denying the benefits of the clean install.

You should only migrate the USERS, not settings, applications, or "other files".

If there was an old launch daemon from your previous mac that causes crashes in your Studio, you just reinstalled it!

Daily kernel panic Mac Studio Ultra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.