Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do if my MacBook Pro has water damage?

My sister spilt tea with honey on her Mac book!…. Is it worth it getting fixed or buy a new one or get it fixed?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 18, 2022 6:40 PM

7 replies

May 18, 2022 6:49 PM in response to jeadon

jeadon Said:

"What to do!: My sister spilt tea with honey on her Mac book!…. Is it worth it getting fixed or buy a new one or get it fixed?"

-------

Recover your Data:

Start with data recovery. Retailers offer this service. They'd send it out to a Lab. It'd likely be in the thousands. So, you might as well get a new Mac. If you never backed up your Mac, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your Mac every-so-often. That way, you can have something to restore your data from should anything go wrong, such as a spill.

May 21, 2022 6:50 PM in response to jeadon

jeadon wrote:

It’s a mac book pro

MacBook Pros have been in continuous since early 2006 in a number of variants with different designs and vulnerabilities. That is why lobsterghost1 said "...no idea which Macbook Pro your sister damaged?"

As too many spilled-upon notebook computers never recovery, it is important to put your homeowners'/renters" insure carrier on notice of a potential total loss. Most polices cover damage to your tech, and that may be the only financial relief your sister gets in buying a new computer.

You have the perfect storm of spill contents for a total loss:

tea — acidic. Can corrode vital electrical contacts.

honey — pure sugar. Once dry it is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture to help the tea corrode.

Be prepared for bad news

I see nothing you can do at home to remedy this, so yo must get Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to evaluate

What to do if my MacBook Pro has water damage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.