Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi keeps disconnecting "password incorrect"

My iPhone 12 Pro Max keeps disconnecting from the wifi since 2-3 months or so.

Often when I then want to reconnect to my network I get the notification "incorrect password for …" while the password is correct. Sometimes it helps if I turn my wifi on and off but after 20-30 minutes it happens again.

I have tried every possible solution on the internet but nothing helps. The problem seems to also occur on my schools network and only on this phone, the wifi on all my other devices work fine.

I suspect it is an internal problem in the phone itself, is a repair for that covered under warranty?

Posted on May 18, 2022 7:25 PM

3 replies

May 18, 2022 7:36 PM in response to Pxrnflakes

Pxrnflakes Said:

Wifi keeps disconnecting 'password incorrect': My iPhone 12 Pro Max keeps disconnecting from the wifi since 2-3 months or so. Often when I then want to reconnect to my network I get the notification 'incorrect password for …' while the password is correct. Sometimes it helps if I turn my wifi on and off but after 20-30 minutes it happens again.[...]

-------

Troubleshoot the iPhone's WiFi:

A. Restart the Router:

If there is no Wi-Fi signal, then apparently you have no IP address. So, start by restarting the router.

B. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

If connecting is unsuccessful, try clearing out your Temporary Internet FilesHistoryCache, and Cookies

Go Here: Clear your Safari Browser History and Set Up Content Blockers on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

C. Try manually restarting your iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

D. Troubleshooting Connectivity:

Wi-Fi: If your iPhone won’t Connect to a Wi-Fi Network - Apple Support

E. Disable, then Enable WiFi:

In Settings, try disabling Bluetooth, and then reenabling Bluetooth, seeing if that makes all the difference.

F. Reset All Network Settings to Default:

Example of items that will be reset: (Wi-Fi Passwords, VPN Connections, etc)

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Network Settings.
  5. Enter: [Your Passcode]

As a Last Resort:

F. Restore form a Backup:

Have a backup of your iPhone? If you are not concerned with losing data, then restore your iPhone from a backup that was made when Wi-Fi was working. Prior to restoring, always know to backup your iPhone, incase anything goes wrong in the future.

May 19, 2022 7:39 PM in response to Pxrnflakes

Pxrnflakes Said:

"Thanks but as I’ve mentioned I tried all the possible “solutions” that are out there & more..: I also did not think to find an answer to the problem here. The main question was the warranty one, do these kinds of defects fall under this?"

-------

Get this Serviced:

I. Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

How old is this? If this is covered under AppleCare Plus warranty, then maybe you can get it serviced free of charge, being it is found to be a faulty device. You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-wattanty with this too. So, if any of that applies, and if found to be a faulty device, then it might be free-of-charge. In all, that would be Apple's call.

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Wifi keeps disconnecting "password incorrect"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.