Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DATA MIGRATION

I'm unable to my migrate my data from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 18, 2022 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 8:30 PM

Moddys_hub Said:

"DATA MIGRATION: I'm unable to my migrate my data from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro"

-------

Troubleshooting Data Migration:

Three things...

A. Start Here: Move your Content to a new Mac - Apple Support

B. Use a Time Machine Backup:

You need to backup your Mac, recently? If so, then restore your Mac from that. You'd backup you Mac prior to doing so, and then restore your data from the backup you just created, through use of Migration Assistant.

C. Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold Down: [Command + R] upon boot). Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seem. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 8:30 PM in response to Moddys_hub

Moddys_hub Said:

"DATA MIGRATION: I'm unable to my migrate my data from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro"

-------

Troubleshooting Data Migration:

Three things...

A. Start Here: Move your Content to a new Mac - Apple Support

B. Use a Time Machine Backup:

You need to backup your Mac, recently? If so, then restore your Mac from that. You'd backup you Mac prior to doing so, and then restore your data from the backup you just created, through use of Migration Assistant.

C. Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold Down: [Command + R] upon boot). Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seem. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

May 18, 2022 8:36 PM in response to Moddys_hub

Moddys_hub wrote:

I'm unable to my migrate my data from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Pro

Why is that, what is the issue...

A cable connection is preferred over wifi.

It seems easier if you have backup drive with USB cable...

A new Mac with thunderbolt/usbC you need an adapter

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

DATA MIGRATION

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.