Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't back up to time machine

So I was finally able to transfer files (media, documents, etc) from an old la cie drive onto a new one (5 terabytes) I just purchsed. It is formatted for Mac OS Extended Journal. I am now trying to use it to back up my mac book pro via time machine and i get the message that the backup can't take place because there is data on the la cie, and that the only way to use time machine is to erase the la cie.

I have always been able to drag folders and files onto la cie backup drives AND use them for time machine as well.

Any ideas on is there is a workaround so that I don't have to erase everything to use time machine?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 21, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2022 9:44 AM

I have always been able to drag folders and files onto la cie backup drives AND use them for time machine as well.

Not any more.

It was never a good idea to begin with. Too many people insisted upon using Time Machine in ways that were never intended or supported, which caused too many people to complain Time Machine was worthless, which in turn caused too many people to forego using it at all. In the interest of protecting users from themselves Apple decided they will not longer let us do that.

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2022 9:44 AM in response to Seeker321

Not any more.

It was never a good idea to begin with. Too many people insisted upon using Time Machine in ways that were never intended or supported, which caused too many people to complain Time Machine was worthless, which in turn caused too many people to forego using it at all. In the interest of protecting users from themselves Apple decided they will not longer let us do that.

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

May 21, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Seeker321

Seeker321 wrote:

So I was finally able to transfer files (media, documents, etc) from an old la cie drive onto a new one (5 terabytes) I just purchsed. It is formatted for Mac OS Extended Journal. I am now trying to use it to back up my mac book pro via time machine and i get the message that the backup can't take place because there is data on the la cie, and that the only way to use time machine is to erase the la cie.

Any ideas on is there is a workaround so that I don't have to erase everything to use time machine?

Thanks

It has always been recommended for TM to have it's own dedicated drive—it is too easy to confuse or corrupt the database.

I can say in the old days if you were to "Partition" the drive the TM should be the first Partition so TM can locate the drive without issue.

On a new Mac we use Containers not Partitions. A new macOS uses apfs not the older HFS+ file format...

So there are several things going on here.

It truly is best moving forward to dedicate a TM drive, format it as GUID/apfs to future proof your backup plan.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/21.0/mac/12.0

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/12.0/mac/12.0

if you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Can't back up to time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.