Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely Slow iMac 2017

iMac 2017 almost unstable. 45 seconds to start up Chrome or Safari. Can be 2-3 minutes to login into a new user. All apps very slow. Frequent beachballing. I see it says failing hard drive - I ran the disk utility and it reported no problems. I ran Apple diagnostics - no issues reported. Is there another to check this? Any help greatly appreciated.

Etrareport added.

Posted on May 21, 2022 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 7:41 AM

So I installed Monterey on the new drive as well as moved all the data from the old drive and rebooted. It is now like a different computer - apps load fast and it is quick to login in. I reran Etrecheck and it finished 3 times faster; it reported 800mb/s read and write instead of 30mb/s before. Well worth the $140 cost of the drive. I used these instructions How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community

thanks for the help

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 7:41 AM in response to gavinxxx

So I installed Monterey on the new drive as well as moved all the data from the old drive and rebooted. It is now like a different computer - apps load fast and it is quick to login in. I reran Etrecheck and it finished 3 times faster; it reported 800mb/s read and write instead of 30mb/s before. Well worth the $140 cost of the drive. I used these instructions How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community

thanks for the help

May 21, 2022 7:03 PM in response to gavinxxx

⚠️ Remove CleanMyMac. It will slow drive performance.

All Macs—catlike— have cleaned themselves with elegant built-in self-maintenance routines since 2000. Developers know that so, to me, this makes any app that claims to clean, disinfect, optimize, or deodorize your Mac a scam.

Third-party cleaning apps interfere with the built-in protection for which you paid Apple a shed-load of money!

May 21, 2022 2:05 PM in response to gavinxxx

The problem is the 5400 rpm HDD. The drive is the bottleneck. This issue pops up every day.

The fix will be to use an external SSD as the startup drive. You'll see a noticeable improvement in performance.

I and a lot of the Community veterans will recommend OWC/Macsales as a great place to buy Mac peripherals and upgrades. (wholly unaffiliated) Please see > Mac Drives, Internal, External - macsales.com

If you'd like to give your Mac a little more life, couple an ext SSD startup drive with MacOS Monterey and I think you'll be surprised how well your Mac continues to run. I can usually coax my Macs to ten or eleven years without breaking a sweat, and I've been doing this a long time.

Or, buy a new Mac! It's always fun to get a new toy. 😃

Buy Mac - Apple

May 21, 2022 2:09 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

By the way, your read and write speeds are horrendous - should be in the 80/90 range, I think.

Failure imminent, in my opinion.

An SSD can provide in the range of 500 MB/s or more.

Performance:
System Load: 1.72 (1 min ago) 2.56 (5 min ago) 2.36 (15 min ago)
Nominal I/O speed: 1.45 MB/s
File system: 47.47 seconds
Write speed: 29 MB/s
Read speed: 28 MB/s

Extremely Slow iMac 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.