Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download macOS Catalina without installing

the installer hangs with 'Checkin Null' so I want to create a bootable USB media with the install file

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 22, 2022 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 2:47 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Catalina would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Catalina.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2022 2:47 AM in response to asher59

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Catalina would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Catalina.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

May 23, 2022 2:54 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi thank you for the answer.

The mac is qualified to run Catalina. when trying to download it from the apple store it tries to update from High sierra and then hangs on "checking Null", so to be able to create a bootable media I needed the copy of the 'install catalina macOS', which I could not find.

Would be helpful if the apple store provided a 'download' button, not just 'open'.

In any case, I followed those steps on another mac and created a bootable USB and installed from it

All good now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.