Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro Trial?

Hi,

These last couple of years I've begun using DaVinci Resolve but friends have encouraged me to give FCPX a try. They recommend it as it's faster and more fun to use.

When I look in App store I don't see an option for a trial, which I suspect is because I had a 30day trial about 4 years ago before I really had the time or knowledge to test it out properly... and it was totally wasted then.

Have I blown my chance for a test?

Thanks for any advice,

Matt

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 23, 2022 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 10:21 AM

The trial version is here

Final Cut Pro - Free Trial - Apple 

For an excellent introduction to FCP start with Steve Martin’s 60 minute intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck. For a more in depth introduction try the IzzyVideo tutorials. The version he uses is a bit dated but the principles are the same. 

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2022 10:21 AM in response to CausewayCamera

The trial version is here

Final Cut Pro - Free Trial - Apple 

For an excellent introduction to FCP start with Steve Martin’s 60 minute intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck. For a more in depth introduction try the IzzyVideo tutorials. The version he uses is a bit dated but the principles are the same. 

May 24, 2022 2:44 AM in response to CausewayCamera

I agree that DVR does start dropping frames sooner than FCP once you start piling on the effects but that only applies to Intel based Macs.

According to reports, on M1 machines DVR is at least as fast and some claim, even faster.

I think the simplest way to describe the differences in operation is to liken FCP to a car with automatic gears whilst DVR is more like a manual gearbox model where all the decision making is up to you.

Which system you prefer is an entirely personal one and as usual I find myself sitting on the fence, seeing the advantages of both.

Psychologically you feel that DVR is a real pro editing machine whereas FCP is a toy that nevertheless gets the job done and usually very efficiently.

May 24, 2022 3:17 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Just had a quick skim through the video and noticed some very simple keystroke omissions that would not really have added any confusion to the tutorial..........

E to send the selected clip to the timeline.

Option [ and Option ] to Trim Start and Trim End.

J, K and L to play forwards and backwards........ though admittedly, using the spacebar was probably sufficient for the project being undertaken.

As most users will be importing from a camera, I feel that should also have been dealt with.

Final Cut Pro Trial?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.