Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting photos from old external drive

I now use a newer Seagate external backup. I know I'm missing some of my photo content (maybe lost when I began using my current MacBook Air). How do I access my iPhoto application that is on the old external drive to see if they are there?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on May 24, 2022 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 7:24 AM

You can't run iPhoto but you can access the content of the Library with Photos.

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point at your iPhoto Library. It will do the rest.

3 replies

May 25, 2022 7:48 AM in response to banby

The following is what to do if the seagate is NOT a time machine backup. Plug the drive in. Once it shows up on the desktop, hold down the option key and click the photos flower icon. A dialog will appear asking you which library you want to open. If the library on the seagate is not listed, click browse and navigate to your iPhoto library.

Alternately, if you have the room, you can drag the iPhoto Library to your desktop from the seagate and then hold option and click the Photos icon.

If this is a time machine backup, you will need to use the time machine interface to restore the library.

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Getting photos from old external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.