Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad will not allow me to use my AOL account.

Two days ago,my iPad stopped updating my AOL account. The message says the username or password is wrong. They're not. I deleted my AOL account, turned my iPad off, then reinstalled my AOL account. Still the same message. What's wrong?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on May 24, 2022 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 2:44 PM

AOL, Yahoo and Google all use App Specific Passwords when using anything other than their own email client Apps.

If you need to generate an App Specific Password, you’ll need to log-in to your Mail Providers account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page.

More information about AOL’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?guccounter=1

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 2:44 PM in response to Sunconference

AOL, Yahoo and Google all use App Specific Passwords when using anything other than their own email client Apps.

If you need to generate an App Specific Password, you’ll need to log-in to your Mail Providers account management webpage - using a web browser - and generate the Password from the appropriate account security page.

More information about AOL’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in?guccounter=1

May 24, 2022 1:17 PM in response to Sunconference

Sunconference wrote:

Two days ago,my iPad stopped updating my AOL account. The message says the username or password is wrong. They're not. I deleted my AOL account, turned my iPad off, then reinstalled my AOL account. Still the same message. What's wrong?

AOL requires app-specific password to use their service, contact AOL or look at their support site for more info.

My iPad will not allow me to use my AOL account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.