Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After restoring my iPhone XS Max, Im asked to enter a password to unlock my backup. Ive tried every password I use to no avail. Help?

After restoring my iPhone XS Max, Im asked to enter a password to unlock my backup. Ive tried every password I use to no avail. Help?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on May 24, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 3:03 PM

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also. (This is not true in your case)

This means the iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup because by default it is checked.

Look for it in the iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check the keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic hereunder.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

You may have been given this option as given in the pic below whien you had first synced your iphone to iTunes/Finder. You may have checked "Do not warn me again"

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 3:03 PM in response to rstamberg

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also. (This is not true in your case)

This means the iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup because by default it is checked.

Look for it in the iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check the keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic hereunder.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

You may have been given this option as given in the pic below whien you had first synced your iphone to iTunes/Finder. You may have checked "Do not warn me again"

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.