Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activation server temporarily unavailable for four days

A software update was pushed thru to my iPad on May 20th and since then i cannot get into my iPad. I was prompted to reenter my apple ID and password and once complete i get the 'Unable to activate" screen. Any thoughts on how i can get past this? My iPad is essentially a doorstop at this point as i have no access to anything on the tablet until i can get past this activation error.

Posted on May 24, 2022 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 5:05 PM

You should check this article: If you can't activate your iPad - Apple Support. If you can't activate your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

If your iPad is a cellular model, some have reported that temporarily removing the sim allows activation to complete.

Otherwise, 5 possible causes for that error message:

1] Activation server is actually down. Very rare occurrence, and of short duration when it

does happen. Solution - try again.

2] Your firewall and/or antivirus software are preventing the necessary connection. Solution -

temporarily disable your firewall and/or antivirus software until the activation completes.

3] computer being used for activation has been used to jailbreak an iOS device in the past.

Solution - use a different computer.

4] iPad has been jailbroken. Your favorite search engine may provide some direction, but jailbreaks often prevent

activations/updates from succeeding. Per Terms of Use for this forum, discussion of jailbroken iPads is

prohibited.

5] your region and/or timezone settings are inconsistent with your actual location. Solution - set region and/or timezone correctly.

Anecdotes in the forum say that Apple has changed the way the activation server is contacted

and that older iPads on obsolete versions of iPadOS can no longer reach the server.

If you were the original purchaser and can prove it with

a receipt from Apple or Apple authorized iPad retailer showing

the serial number of the iPad, make a genius bar

reservation and bring in the receipt, iPad, and government

issued photo ID to Apple and they may assist in resolving the problem.

If the iPad was purchased used or there is no receipt, Apple will not assist. 

It is highly recommended that you make a Genius Bar Reservation to avoid delay at the Apple store

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 5:05 PM in response to Scarlette28

You should check this article: If you can't activate your iPad - Apple Support. If you can't activate your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

If your iPad is a cellular model, some have reported that temporarily removing the sim allows activation to complete.

Otherwise, 5 possible causes for that error message:

1] Activation server is actually down. Very rare occurrence, and of short duration when it

does happen. Solution - try again.

2] Your firewall and/or antivirus software are preventing the necessary connection. Solution -

temporarily disable your firewall and/or antivirus software until the activation completes.

3] computer being used for activation has been used to jailbreak an iOS device in the past.

Solution - use a different computer.

4] iPad has been jailbroken. Your favorite search engine may provide some direction, but jailbreaks often prevent

activations/updates from succeeding. Per Terms of Use for this forum, discussion of jailbroken iPads is

prohibited.

5] your region and/or timezone settings are inconsistent with your actual location. Solution - set region and/or timezone correctly.

Anecdotes in the forum say that Apple has changed the way the activation server is contacted

and that older iPads on obsolete versions of iPadOS can no longer reach the server.

If you were the original purchaser and can prove it with

a receipt from Apple or Apple authorized iPad retailer showing

the serial number of the iPad, make a genius bar

reservation and bring in the receipt, iPad, and government

issued photo ID to Apple and they may assist in resolving the problem.

If the iPad was purchased used or there is no receipt, Apple will not assist. 

It is highly recommended that you make a Genius Bar Reservation to avoid delay at the Apple store

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

activation server temporarily unavailable for four days

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.