Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2019 as External Display for Windows PC

I've searched everywhere and can't find a way to use my iMac 2019 as an external display for my Windows laptop. Target Display Mode went away with this model. The support page for this topic doesn't cover this scenario (PC to Mac).

Any options? Or is it just not possible?

Posted on May 24, 2022 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 8:12 PM

You cannot do that. It's not a thing.

That setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and target display mode is no longer a feature of macOS.

As Apple states them, here are the rules for target display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Make sure that your target iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• The source Mac must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2022 8:12 PM in response to aina7

You cannot do that. It's not a thing.

That setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and target display mode is no longer a feature of macOS.

As Apple states them, here are the rules for target display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Make sure that your target iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• The source Mac must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

May 26, 2022 8:12 AM in response to aina7

It is *technically * possible… both D.I. Johnson and rkaufmann are correct.. target display mode is dead and doesn’t work… about the only thing you could try is “Duet Display pro” which you’d have to pay for. Whether or not it is practical and worth messing around with, i’ll leave for you to decide.

john b

iMac 2019 as External Display for Windows PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.