Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing library

I'm having problems with the iTunes/Apple Music app (on my iMac) syncing my music library to iCloud sort of randomly.

This is causing problems when working on updating metadata, artwork and other things (when the library is syncing I cannot work on the metadata and there is also problems with files appearing twice in the library, albeit temporarily).

I would like to be able to schedule syncing myself, without having to log in and out of the account. Is there a way to turn off automatic syncing and trigger it when I'm ready?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 25, 2022 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 10:13 PM

Hi mklcrissn,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Sorry I don't know of any way to control the timing of automatic syncing, to suit.

Seems, if the whole library contains many files, you may need to sync gradually, in smaller amounts, for ease of working.

or

Apple support have some articles online that may be helpful.

Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Problems syncing a video or music on Mac – Apple Support

And

Discussion thread:

Why won't my Mac sync with my music libra… - Apple Community

For Apple Support if needed:

(i.e) "get Support" links in the middle at the very bottom on their web-pages. (links below)

iCloud Support website

Music - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2022 10:13 PM in response to mklcrlssn

Hi mklcrissn,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Sorry I don't know of any way to control the timing of automatic syncing, to suit.

Seems, if the whole library contains many files, you may need to sync gradually, in smaller amounts, for ease of working.

or

Apple support have some articles online that may be helpful.

Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

Problems syncing a video or music on Mac – Apple Support

And

Discussion thread:

Why won't my Mac sync with my music libra… - Apple Community

For Apple Support if needed:

(i.e) "get Support" links in the middle at the very bottom on their web-pages. (links below)

iCloud Support website

Music - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

May 26, 2022 4:18 AM in response to mklcrlssn

Short of temporarily taking your computer offline, or signing out of your Apple ID, there is no way to control this behaviour. iTunes shouldn’t prevent you making changes to metadata while it is updating iCloud Music Library. There is an issue when using AirPlay however where metadata changes can be ignored, which isn’t documented and might not be immediately obvious.

tt2

Syncing library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.