Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Rosetta 2 on this system is not supported.

I'm trying to install Rosetta 2 on a several unmanaged Macbook Air M1 running Max OSX 10.16 and I am getting the error "Installing Rosetta 2 on this system is not supported."

I've treid the following commands, all to no avail, and all generating the same error:

1. /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta
  2. /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license
  3. sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license

Help!

PS - Apple support page says "You're asked to install Rosetta the first time you open an app that needs Rosetta" which is NOT true. The 2 apps we have that need Roestta are (also) not apps that users interact with (centralized Anti-Virus and Remote Access/Control), so they DONT prompt you to install it. It HAS to be installed manually.

Posted on May 25, 2022 6:40 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

May 25, 2022 8:34 AM in response to PRP_53

>> I still have two Mac laptops running Big Sur 11.6.6 and neither is referred to as 10.6 internally.

Well I have a M1 Macbook air running Monterey, under about me it says Monterey v 12.4. But internally (ie: not visable ot the GUI), it reports it's OS verison to management apps as 10.16.

And yes, I have MULTIPLE units like that. All RECENTLY upgraded to Monterey (we always wait to install)

>> If the two “security” apps you’re installing here still need Rosetta, then you’re installing what are seemingly unmaintained apps. Consider alternatives.

NO, these are not un-maintained apps by any means. These both agents for active SAAS platforms. Connectwise Control (arguably one of the biggest names in remote access) and Vipre Antivirus.

>> Rosetta is not an app that you need to open.

Yes, I know. But per support, you still have to INSTALL it. And the commands given to me to do that are not working.

I Just need to get Rosetta 2 installed! How hard is that? <grumble> Why is Apple support clueless on this?

May 25, 2022 8:03 AM in response to SchoolITMan19

Rosetta is not an app that you need to open. Rosetta works automatically in the background whenever you use an app built only for Mac computers with an Intel processor. It translates the app for use with Apple silicon.

In most cases, you won't notice any difference in the performance of an app that needs Rosetta. But you should contact the app developer to inquire about a version that can natively use the full power and performance of Apple silicon.

Rosetta 2 in built into macOS Big Sur and  Monterey. It is only available on Apple Computer with the Silicon M1 CPU. 

There are three categories / types of software that can run on the Operations System.

Only Intel Binary Code. This is software will invoke Rosetta 2 to translate the Intel binaries so the operation system can understand and execute the Application. The Applications must be 64 Bit to function on Big Sur and Monterey

Universal Binary Software.  It contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binary code and refer to (  Universal 2 ) When the user installs a 64 bit Application that contains Both Intel and M1 ARMs binaries - depending on factors, the Operating System may or may not invoke Rosetta 2.

Apple Silicon “ Checking in System Information >> Applications  >> as of now, only see One Application classified as Apple Silicon and that is “ Rosetta 2 Updater “.

That would make perfect sense since it is specifically designed to operate only on Apple Silicon M1 ARMs based computers 

May 25, 2022 10:10 AM in response to SchoolITMan19

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

So the below suggestion will be the next best thing to actually having the computer(s) in our possession

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

May 25, 2022 7:30 AM in response to SchoolITMan19

Log into the MacBook Air directly, and perform the Rosetta 2 install operation there.

This VNC/RDP/ARD app you’re using to access the Mac may be involved, or may not be.

Trying to run multiple parallel logins (as I’d suspect is happening here) can have its limits.

I’d also look into acquiring and installing Apple Remote Desktop (ARD), and seeing if that works better here.

If the two “security” apps you’re installing here still need Rosetta, then you’re installing what are seemingly unmaintained apps. Consider alternatives. ARD will address one of those two apps too.

May 25, 2022 9:21 AM in response to dialabrain

>> FWIW, whatever app is reporting 10.16 is misidentifying what is installed. Probably because the developer wrote 10.16 in the app.

No. MAC OSX still reports it as 10.16 if you ask the OS the "old" way.

With Big Sur (and later) there are two ways of asking macOS for the version number. The 'new' way returns 11.x or 12.x, the 'old' way returns 10.16 on both BS and Monterey. This is to assist developers who have dependencies on macOS version, but have not updated their software to the 'new' way.

You can see both in Terminal with the sw_vers command without and with a value for SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT:

sw_vers

ProductName: macOS

ProductVersion: 12.0

BuildVersion: 21A5304g

export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1

sw_vers

ProductName: Mac OS X

ProductVersion: 10.16

BuildVersion: 21A5304g

Source: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-16.2308150/

Installing Rosetta 2 on this system is not supported.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.