Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connected Clips - Audio Mess

Greetings.

I have recently updated to 10.6.2 and am finding some issue with editing and my audio connected clips.

In the screenshot, I wish to trim the first clip to the left, so that the second clip starts at the beginning of the audio '18 ravaged by disease', while leaving all audio clips in place. However, trimming the first clip slides all of the audio files to the left as well.

I have tried the advice in this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fudS5cMjcfM

But this is not the answer.

I have also tried using the Blade to make a cut of the first clip, but that has the same effect.

Is there a preference to turn off this connected clip movement?

Every option moves the entire audio track(s)... that can't be right? It leaves having to reposition every audio clip to the right of the trim.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mac Studio

Posted on May 25, 2022 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 11:11 AM

Thanks for the screen capture; it's very helpful. I can't go back to 10.2 at the moment, but I don't recall this being different. The connection point is to a specific frame and that hasn't moved. The simple solution for this is to hold the grave/tilde key. This will keep the audio connected to that clip attached to the beginning of the clip that's being rippled. This will not however affect the audio downstream from it that is connected to other clips. They will remain where they are.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2022 11:11 AM in response to Chizzer

Thanks for the screen capture; it's very helpful. I can't go back to 10.2 at the moment, but I don't recall this being different. The connection point is to a specific frame and that hasn't moved. The simple solution for this is to hold the grave/tilde key. This will keep the audio connected to that clip attached to the beginning of the clip that's being rippled. This will not however affect the audio downstream from it that is connected to other clips. They will remain where they are.

May 25, 2022 10:18 AM in response to Chizzer

By snapshot I mean a copy of the project, so if something goes wrong in the process you can start over where you are now.

In the browser, control-click the project and choose Snapshot Project:

This will create a separate, independent copy of the project as it is now - and name it with a timestamp:

Now if you continue editing (like I suggested, or in some other way), you will have a safety net.

And, as Tom said, since Final Cut Pro "X" was launched in 2011, it never worked as you describe.

Either you are missing some detail, or you had in mind the old FCP (version 7 or earlier).

May 25, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom... thanks for your response.

I understand the value of a ripple edit moving the connected clips for sync. But this is not how FCP behaved in previous versions??... I have always edited/rippled to an audio track... I made that one simple ripple to the left and have had to go through and reposition every audio clip.

Even moving the audio to the clip it should under destroys the entire sound track.... What a nightmare that will be with a 30 min. timeline.

I better step away for a few minutes and come back with fresh eyes... Something is not ringing true - most likely user error... but I don't understand what I have done differently.

Thanks again...

May 25, 2022 9:26 AM in response to Chizzer

It is working correctly, as far as I can see...

If you want to keep the audio clips exactly where they are, then you should organize your timeline differently.

Your main audio clips should be in the primary timeline, and the video and other audio should be connected

to that primary audio.

It is not too late to fix that.

First, make a snapshot of the project, to ensure that you can easily get back to this point if necessary.

Then do this:

1) Select everything in the primary storyline, and press Command-Option-UpArrow, to lift from storyline.

2) Press Command-G to make these a single secondary storyline

3) Select the audio clips that should go into the primary and press Command-Option-DownArrow to put them in the primary

May 25, 2022 10:04 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis... thank you for your comment.

But this is not how previous versions functioned - I am certain of it. That said, things/apps change, so I am trying to understand.

In this case, it is a simple 2 min. marketing video that has a soundtrack with various soundEFX - so there really isn't a primary audio.... per se. ALL audio clips should be with the primary, I think. I am changing clip duration, adding new clips, etc.. so far, each of those actions is causing an attached audio nightmare.

It seems like I am 'suppose' to have the entire video edit done, then come back and add audio.

By "Snapshot" you mean screenshot?

2) After lifting from the storyline - nothing I select/try with Command-G does anything?

Should I be putting everything into compound clips?

Thanks again...

May 25, 2022 10:15 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I never had this issue.

Again, this has to be user error...

Perhaps I should assume that the connected audio clip should be connected to the video clip it is supposed to be? Perhaps this is my error? But this is something I was never concerned with in 10.2 and as the timeline edits, those audio clips are no longer in the right position.

Thanks for your time.

May 30, 2022 3:23 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the follow-up :)

I have been editing recently, and haven't come up against the previous issue... not sure what was specific with that day/project (other office frustrations perhaps clouding my FCP experience, for example).... but have never had to use the Tilde key prior (or since) in conjunction with the timeline/edits.

If I come up against it again, I will review this thread...

Thanks again for all your time, very much appreciated.

PS... I am having severe buyers remorse over the purchase/performance of this "M1 Ultra". If you come across my new post I would be interested in your perspective.

Connected Clips - Audio Mess

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.