Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2019 numerous issues

Ongoing issues with MacBook Pro 2019. Does anyone else experience and if so, how did you resolve?

I purchased a new MacBook Pro in early 2020. My previous MacBook Pro was from 2014 and still working PERFECT and the only reason I had to buy a new one was because I spilled water on the old one and fried something to do with the display. Super bummed.

Anyway the new MacBook was ok at first but pretty quick things started to go wrong. And I live in a very remote location outside the USA so I was not able to get to a Apple repair center so have had to let the issues go unresolved.

1) The Touch Bar failed within months. Have tried all the resets (SMC, PRAM/NRVAM). Nothing worked. Have had to figure out work arounds for all the functions like volume control, screen brightness, Siri etc.

2) Periodically my MacBook will go haywire - start flicking randomly between all open apps and also volume going up and down rapidly, screen brightness going up and down randomly. I figure it has something to do with the Touch Bar. I've figured out the ONLY way to resolve it to reinstall the OS which is a pain in the arse and only a temporary fix.

3) Black sticky stuff has started oozing from around my screen. When the MacBook is closed it sticks the lid to the base. I can kind of scrape/wipe it away but next it looks rough and next time I close the MacBook same thing will happen again.

Im kind of disappointed with the quality of this relatively new MacBook especially when compared to my last one which just kept going perfectly without a glitch for over 5 years. It would have kept going too if I didn't spilll water on it. Actually the processor,hard drive/motherboartd etc are all fine. Its just the screen that doesn't work. This new one seems kind of shoddy.

Im thinking about upgrading to a new machine but not sure if they are as good value for money as they used to be. Who am I kidding I'll never go back to PC but still........ Any advice? I am leaving the island later this year (first time traveling since before the Pandemic) so can probably visit a Apple repair center on my travels.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2022 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 8:15 AM

Lala2227 wrote:

Ongoing issues with MacBook Pro 2019.

1.) Touch Bar failed within months

2) Periodically my MacBook will go haywire - start flicking randomly between all open apps and also volume going up and down rapidly, screen brightness going up and down randomly.

reinstall the OS which is a pain in the arse and only a temporary fix.

3) Black sticky stuff has started oozing from around my screen. When the MacBook is closed it sticks the lid to the base. I can kind of scrape/wipe it away but next it looks rough and next time I close the MacBook same thing will happen again.

For resolving Touchbar issue (and your other symptoms)—yes— If this is a Intel Mac and your SMC/NVRAM .

*If this did not sort your issues...you can suspect hardware. For hardware issues Take it in.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

ref:

— resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

— resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

The " Black sticky stuff " would be consider hardware— to resolve that take it, and have them address your other issues as well.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

From iOS device using the "Apple Support.app” to make a online Genius Bar appointment is easy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044?mt=8

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 8:15 AM in response to Lala2227

Lala2227 wrote:

Ongoing issues with MacBook Pro 2019.

1.) Touch Bar failed within months

2) Periodically my MacBook will go haywire - start flicking randomly between all open apps and also volume going up and down rapidly, screen brightness going up and down randomly.

reinstall the OS which is a pain in the arse and only a temporary fix.

For resolving Touchbar issue (and your other symptoms)—yes— If this is a Intel Mac and your SMC/NVRAM .

*If this did not sort your issues...you can suspect hardware. For hardware issues Take it in.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

ref:

— resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

— resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

The " Black sticky stuff " would be consider hardware— to resolve that take it, and have them address your other issues as well.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

From iOS device using the "Apple Support.app” to make a online Genius Bar appointment is easy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044?mt=8

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

MacBook Pro 2019 numerous issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.