Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it okay to use a 61W charger with a new iPhone SE?

If I'm using a USB-C to Lighting cable for charging, is it okay to use a 61W charger with a new iPhone SE?

Thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE (Gen 3)

Posted on May 25, 2022 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 11:16 AM

Yes.

Also see: Fast charge your iPhone - Apple Support

9 replies

May 25, 2022 4:44 PM in response to cohalon

cohalon wrote:
The 61W charger I was referring to is the standard charger I received with my MacBook Pro, late 2019, with USB-C cable.
All original from Apple.

That should be fine. All that matters is that it selects a compatible voltage, which is 5V or 9V in the case of newer iPhones. The amount of current that it can put out isn't as important as the voltage. It's really just a power supply, and even if it could conceivably put out 100A, the actual power management happens inside the phone and it will limit the current.

I'm currently using a MFi USB-C to Lightning cable with my 67W power adapter for a MBP. It's doing just fine with my ancient iPhone 7. It's probably just connecting at 5V, which is one of the available voltages. This is for a 20W USB-C power adapter generally for use with iPhones/iPads, but you'll see a similar label on a power adapter meant primarily for a Mac, but probably with other voltages like 15V/20V/20.3V that aren't used if you connect with an iPhone.

The important thing for an iPhone is where it says that it has an output of 5V or 9V. The power adapter will start off at the default voltage (5V which all USB-C power adapters must supply and start with) and then the device will "negotiate" for any higher voltage that's compatible with the device. In the case of a newer iPhone, it should obtain a 9V supply which is safe and should charge the fastest.

May 25, 2022 3:28 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for the reply and the link (yes, I saw this article)

I was just trying to find out if the 'bog' chargers are not excessive for the phone, as well as if the Mac's HW can support it

(I did see on my Mac a troubling message that all USB accessories are disabled while charging a phone).

Anyhow, Thanks again.

May 26, 2022 7:10 AM in response to cohalon

cohalon wrote:
Thanks for the elaborated comprehensive explanation, I learnt something new today.

Only my layman's take. This explanation is better.

https://www.goalzero.com/blogs/news/what-the-tech-usb-c-and-power-delivery-explained
Power Delivery (PD) is a specification for handling higher power and allows a range of devices to charge quickly over a USB connection. It operates by facilitating a conversation between two devices to negotiate a power contract so they can determine how much power can be pulled from the charger. Power Delivery starts at the 5V setting and is configurable up to 20V. Using a standard USB-C cable, it can handle up to 60W, and will go up to 100W using a designated EMCA cable.

Is it okay to use a 61W charger with a new iPhone SE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.