Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My "almost new" iMac is making a clicking sound from time to time

Does this indicate a problem? It seems random, and it even happens when I'm away from the computer and the screen saver is running. I wonder if I should return the computer--I've never heard this with any of my apple computers over the years! Any insights are appreciated! Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 26, 2022 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 8:44 AM

Sounds are always very difficult to troubleshoot as they are likely not mechanical in nature on a newer machine. It may be a notification or some type of software generated sound. You simply need to keep records of the sound to see if there is some type of pattern and then try and track down what the pattern is associated with.

Also, you can always call AppleCare to see if they have anything you can try. You can locate the phone number for your area by clicking AppleCare contact Information.

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 8:44 AM in response to annestarr

Sounds are always very difficult to troubleshoot as they are likely not mechanical in nature on a newer machine. It may be a notification or some type of software generated sound. You simply need to keep records of the sound to see if there is some type of pattern and then try and track down what the pattern is associated with.

Also, you can always call AppleCare to see if they have anything you can try. You can locate the phone number for your area by clicking AppleCare contact Information.

Good luck.

My "almost new" iMac is making a clicking sound from time to time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.