Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two imacs and dual display

I have 2 iMac m1 24inch 2021 and a got a Thunderbolt 3 cable. I was trying to use the second iMac as my second display, but when I put option F2 nothing happens. Any suggestions to make it work? I have already checked the resolution and the software version. I checked the cables and they are on the thunderbolt ports on the back. Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 26, 2022 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 9:53 AM

That will not work, your iMacs are computers they are not displays for other devices. Please refer to Target Display Mode. If you need or want an external display please buy one and return the expensive cables you bought which will pay for the majority of the cost of an external display.

2 replies

May 26, 2022 9:56 AM in response to Dragonlood

You are trying to use Target Dispaly Mode (TDM) and that is dead tech. The very limited hardware requirements for TDM are in this Apple support article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

No M1 Mac scan be the video source even if your old iMac was one of the very few that supported acting as a monitor for another Mac.

This is the article's pertinent part that explains your inability to make this work:

Also, only a small number of iMacs made between 2009 and Mid 2014 were TDM-capable. Apple started the deprecation of TDN in Late 2014 and threw the last shove of dirt in its face in early 2020.

two imacs and dual display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.