Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Internet Sharing but then cannot access video/music library through iTunes to AppleTV

Mac Mini 2020 is connected to WiFi and uses Internet Sharing through ethernet wire to my Mac Mini 2011 which acts like a headless server with both File Sharing and Screen Sharing active.

Connecting both to the same WiFi was way too slow for some reason, but now if fast enough.

I want to use iTunes on the 2011 MM (running High Sierra) to serve my video and music library to my Apple TV 4K that is also connected to the same WiFi as the 2020 MM.

But the Apple TV Computers App does not "see" my iTunes library anymore with this connection (it of course did see it when they were both on the same WiFi).

2020 MM = 192.168.1.102 through DHCP automatically (not manually)

2011 MM = 192.168.2.2 through DHCP automatically.

I cannot connect the 2020 MM by Ethernet due to its proximity to the router; only by WiFi.

Any ideas that would help? Thank you!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 26, 2022 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 2:55 AM

have you read Set up media sharing on Mac - Apple Support

if you still experience issues then it may be that your router is not bridging wired ethernet and wifi in which case they would be on 2 seperate networks not being able to access eachother. how one goes about bridging networks in ones router would differ from router to router a google for something like "linksys<replace with your router brand and maybe model> bridge networks"

should likely give you a step by step guide for your router model.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 2:55 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

have you read Set up media sharing on Mac - Apple Support

if you still experience issues then it may be that your router is not bridging wired ethernet and wifi in which case they would be on 2 seperate networks not being able to access eachother. how one goes about bridging networks in ones router would differ from router to router a google for something like "linksys<replace with your router brand and maybe model> bridge networks"

should likely give you a step by step guide for your router model.

May 30, 2022 10:44 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you for that tip, but I am not trying to Media Share from the 2011 MM to the 2020 MM; I am trying to get iTunes on the 2011 MM to stream to my 4K AppleTV, as it did in the past before I purchased the 2020 MM.

The answer was right in front of me; Turn on BOTH Ethernet and WiFi in Networking on the 2011 MM and the 2011 MM will link both subnets together and now I can File Share with high speeds and once again stream my iTunes library from my 2011 MM to my AppleTV:

May 30, 2022 9:26 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

You only referred to file sharing and screen sharing. However, for this function you need to make sure you have enabled Media sharing (which will allow to turn on Home sharing). This will then also allow the Apple TV to setup Home sharing. If there were still an issue you would need to either find your routers manual or lookup the model online to find the steps on how to bridge the wireless and wired networks.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

May 31, 2022 9:20 AM in response to vazandrew

OS X High Sierra, which is what I use in my 2011 MM does not appear to offer Media Sharing.

I have Home Sharing turned ON in iTunes, where apparently this historic setting was located back then.

Monterey, which I use in my 2020 MM does have the Media Sharing setting you are referring to, but my home video and audio library are located in and/or connected by USB to my 2011 MM, which again is using High Sierra, and is now available 24/7 as a headless server. I keep iTunes active on the 2011 MM so that I can always now access it from my 4K AppleTV.

There are no active home video and audio files located on my 2020 MM.

May 28, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Rudegar

Thank you, I'll try that, but I do not think that is the problem because neither computer nor the AppleTV are connected to the Router directly by ethernet; both use WiFi:

AppleTV = WiFi

Mac Mini 2020 = WiFi

Mac mini 2011 = ethernet connection to Mac Mini 2020, which has Internet Sharing turned on

I think it has something to do with the way the Internet is shared by the Mac Mini 2020 and their IP addresses having a different number in the 3rd category:

192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x

Quoting from the article you linked: "You can share your media library with other computers on the same network. "

Remember that my AppleTV successfully streamed my Media Library when both the Mac Mini 2011 and AppleTV were connected to the same WiFi.

Using Internet Sharing but then cannot access video/music library through iTunes to AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.