Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing Xcode

I want to download Xcode but I keep getting "There is not enough disk space available to install this product" error... I have 27GB free space on my laptop and Xcode size is 12.6GB.... I don't understand why I keep getting the above the above error message

MacBook Air

Posted on May 27, 2022 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 10:55 AM

The 12.6 GB file you are downloading is a compressed file. You temporarily need disk space for both the compressed and final, expanded file, which is more than the 27 GB free space you have.

You can find a detailed explanation for this question and workarounds in the following article:

Xcode Installation Questions

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 10:55 AM in response to marvellous52

The 12.6 GB file you are downloading is a compressed file. You temporarily need disk space for both the compressed and final, expanded file, which is more than the 27 GB free space you have.

You can find a detailed explanation for this question and workarounds in the following article:

Xcode Installation Questions

May 27, 2022 1:12 PM in response to marvellous52

Local Xcode 13.4 install here is sitting on 32.44 GB, plus other sundry usage, plus the storage needed for development.

That’s with various simulators installed, and some of that storage usage can potentially be pruned. Somewhat.

You’re either going to need to free up a whole lot more storage—macOS itself does not generally do well performance-wise with near-full storage, and Xcode itself is a heavyweight app—or borrow or otherwise acquire a more capacious Mac.

installing Xcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.