Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -999.)

I'm trying to turn on iCloud Photos on my iMac so I can save all my original photos across my devices to the iMac. When I turn on iCloud Photos on my iMac, I receive a message saying I don't have enough iCloud storage. I am then prompted to increase my storage plan. I accept the storage plan upgrade then receive the error message - The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -999.)

What can I do?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 27, 2022 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 9:26 PM

It may take a while until the new cloud storage is available.

Wait a bit and then try again to sign into iCloud Photos as described here: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

In addition to enough cloud storage to hold all photos from your system photos library in addition to the photos already in iCloud, you will need enough free storage on your Mac to hold all photos downloaded from iCloud.

The error NSURLErrorDomain error -999 is is typical for problems with connecting to a server. The error code -999 is given, when another process has cancelled your request. It could be a time out or incorrect or insufficient data when trying to connect to iCloud Photos.

In addition to checking for enough free storage in iCloud and your Mac you may want to check for problems with your Apple ID and problems with your system Photos Library. Is your current Photos Library enabled as the System Photos Library in Photos Preferences > general? Click "Use as System Photos Library". Is your current Photos Library in a supported location? The Pictures folder would be the best place.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 9:26 PM in response to slicksleeve

It may take a while until the new cloud storage is available.

Wait a bit and then try again to sign into iCloud Photos as described here: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

In addition to enough cloud storage to hold all photos from your system photos library in addition to the photos already in iCloud, you will need enough free storage on your Mac to hold all photos downloaded from iCloud.

The error NSURLErrorDomain error -999 is is typical for problems with connecting to a server. The error code -999 is given, when another process has cancelled your request. It could be a time out or incorrect or insufficient data when trying to connect to iCloud Photos.

In addition to checking for enough free storage in iCloud and your Mac you may want to check for problems with your Apple ID and problems with your system Photos Library. Is your current Photos Library enabled as the System Photos Library in Photos Preferences > general? Click "Use as System Photos Library". Is your current Photos Library in a supported location? The Pictures folder would be the best place.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -999.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.