Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another way to delete cached files?

I tried restarting in safe mode, which I had hoped would clear much of the 3GB (of 8GB) of cached files taking up space on my MacBook Air.

In safe mode, my activity monitor showed even larger cached files; but came back 'down' to 3 GB when I restarted normally again.

Is there another way to *safely* remove those files that will automatically be recreated as needed?

Thank you Apple gurus! :)

Susan

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 27, 2022 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 6:14 PM

Review the recommendations in Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support, but I suspect there is more to the story. Cache, log, and other expendable files are automatically removed by macOS when available space runs low. "Safe Mode" also deletes font cache files but that won't amount to much.

If your available storage space is running low, you may find neuroanatomist's User Tip helpful: What is "Other" storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out? - Apple Community.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 6:14 PM in response to Susan9

Review the recommendations in Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support, but I suspect there is more to the story. Cache, log, and other expendable files are automatically removed by macOS when available space runs low. "Safe Mode" also deletes font cache files but that won't amount to much.

If your available storage space is running low, you may find neuroanatomist's User Tip helpful: What is "Other" storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out? - Apple Community.

Another way to delete cached files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.