Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have my photos on my MacBook Air optimized for iCloud photos but its taking up over 150gb on my harddrive

How can I save more space on my hard drive when I already have it optimized?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 27, 2022 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 1:10 AM

Even an optimised library may take up at least ten percent of the original size of the library, as as Photos needs to store at least the optimised versions plus some databases, the shared albums, the faces etc.

And Photos will only optimise some of the photos, whenever you need additional free storage. You can force Photos to optimise the library fully by downloading a fresh copy from iCloud by starting over with an empty library. Initially it will be fully optimised. See: How to force Photos for Mac to Optimise the Storage Immediately

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2022 1:10 AM in response to annmarie253

Even an optimised library may take up at least ten percent of the original size of the library, as as Photos needs to store at least the optimised versions plus some databases, the shared albums, the faces etc.

And Photos will only optimise some of the photos, whenever you need additional free storage. You can force Photos to optimise the library fully by downloading a fresh copy from iCloud by starting over with an empty library. Initially it will be fully optimised. See: How to force Photos for Mac to Optimise the Storage Immediately

I have my photos on my MacBook Air optimized for iCloud photos but its taking up over 150gb on my harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.