Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic board replacement.

Hi all I need to get a new logic board, I have a MacBook Pro touchbar model A1706 3.1ghz/8gb/i5 256gb. Can I upgrade this to a 3.1ghz/16gb/i5 512gb or a 3.1ghz/16gb/i5 1TB. Thanks for any professional advise.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on May 28, 2022 12:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 8:21 AM

I would not bother taking it to Apple unless the current board has failed. They do not do upgrades.

Apple will only replace a defective part "in kind." That has been their policy as long as I have participated here (20+ years). They won't upgrade it to "bigger/faster." If you have a board replacement done, Apple will use a new board with the exact specs of the one they remove.

If you need faster performance, sell or trade in your current Macbook Pro and get a new one with the specs you need. Remember, storage and RAM are now integral with the logic board and not even the deities on Mount Cupertino can upgrade those after the computer leaves the assembly line. Buy the performance you need in three years NOW.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 8:21 AM in response to Crymiure

I would not bother taking it to Apple unless the current board has failed. They do not do upgrades.

Apple will only replace a defective part "in kind." That has been their policy as long as I have participated here (20+ years). They won't upgrade it to "bigger/faster." If you have a board replacement done, Apple will use a new board with the exact specs of the one they remove.

If you need faster performance, sell or trade in your current Macbook Pro and get a new one with the specs you need. Remember, storage and RAM are now integral with the logic board and not even the deities on Mount Cupertino can upgrade those after the computer leaves the assembly line. Buy the performance you need in three years NOW.

Logic board replacement.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.