Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud is empty, but phone tells me I need to upgrade to larger size to back up. Why?

When I log in to my iCloud through the browser, it shows empty, yet backup on my phone refuses saying there is not enough space, and that I have to upgrade to larger size. I only have a few small photos, and in any case, the phone is set not to back up photos. How do I clear this?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on May 28, 2022 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 7:58 PM

(I see no way to delete my original post above, so I am answering it)

I have found I had a large file in VLC on my phone. Once I excluded VLC from backup, all went back to normal. Case closed.

1 reply

iCloud is empty, but phone tells me I need to upgrade to larger size to back up. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.