Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to migrate all my files from a succession of three Macs into one brand-new one?

I've always been a Mac person, starting with my first Mac Plus in 1986. I'm about to get a new MacBook (probably a MacBook Air but maybe a MacBook Pro). I've lost count of how many Macs I've been through, but I do have three (a PowerBook G4, MacBook and MacBook Pro) sitting around now.

I probably used Migration Assistant to transfer my files during those earlier transitions, but I'm just not sure. This time, I'd like to make sure every file — from very old to reasonably new — gets transferred. That's because I want to restore each of these old Macs to its factory settings so I can sell, give away or trade them all. It's time for them to move on!

How do I do that?

Should I start with the PowerBook G4 (which is running Tiger) and migrate its files to my brand-spanking-new MacBook Air (if that's what I end up getting)? Then migrate files from the MacBook (which is running Lion) to the new MacBook Air? Then migrate files from the MacBook Pro (which is running Monterey) to the MacBook Air? Is this doable?

All insights welcome.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 28, 2022 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 12:47 PM

Hello sfrench,

This page here on Migration Assistant can provide some great tips for getting data moved over: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Be sure to check out the following bit of info from the 'Get ready' section:

Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.

You can additionally find helpful tips for things to do before selling the Mac(s) here: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

As it notes, you can choose to use Migration Assistant, but you may also opt to instead back the older Macs up to an external storage device: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 12:47 PM in response to sfrench

Hello sfrench,

This page here on Migration Assistant can provide some great tips for getting data moved over: Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Be sure to check out the following bit of info from the 'Get ready' section:

Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.

You can additionally find helpful tips for things to do before selling the Mac(s) here: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

As it notes, you can choose to use Migration Assistant, but you may also opt to instead back the older Macs up to an external storage device: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Cheers.

How to migrate all my files from a succession of three Macs into one brand-new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.