Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to connect my video camera to my Macbook Air

I have a video camera that uses a Firewire cable. I want to connect it to my 2017 13" Macbook Air; it does not have a Firewire port. It only has a Thunderbolt port which I believe is a Thunderbolt 2 port although I can't find that noted anywhere in the specifications.

Which adapter do I use? Does it have to be an adapter that matches the Thunderbolt number of my

Macbook Air?

Apple sells a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter but the requirements for use specific OS v10.7.4 or later. I am running OS v10.12.6. Will that work?

Will this one adapter work? or do I need two adapters?

How do I know whether the Firewire cable I have is 400 or 800?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 28, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 8:54 PM

Hi,

Your MBA has Thunderbolt 2 (see MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) - Technical Specifications). The Apple adapter you mention is T2 to FW800 and should make the hardware connection if your video cam is FW800.

The following pic shows FW800 and FW400; the black one on the left is the FW800 connector:

8 replies

May 30, 2022 3:03 PM in response to SimplyLola

Do you have iMovie on your 2017 MBA? If so, the only way to know for sure is to try it.

App compatibility (and peripherals like printers, scanners, etc.) is a big factor to consider before upgrading to Monterey. I don't know if there's an iMovie version that works in Monterey, or what versions work with what OSes. I think that would be worth asking in the iMovie forum: iMovie for Mac - Apple Community

As for reasons to upgrade to a more recent OS, right now only Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey receive security updates, so online safety is a big concern if you're not on one of those three....

May 29, 2022 7:55 PM in response to SimplyLola

You're welcome.

Something else to think about is software. I think the last time I did something like you're doing I was on 10.11/El Capitan and iMovie worked for me. I know the software supplied with the camcorder did not work. I don't know if you have software supplied with your video camera or have iMovie or something else, but start looking into that aspect of it too.

May 30, 2022 12:43 PM in response to tjk

Interesting that you mentioned software. First, I did not realize my video camera came with software but I did find a CD with all of the camera paraphernalia. I don't think I ever used it because like you I used iMovie with my first Macbook that was using OS 10.5 Leopard. When I got my 2017 Macbook Air it was running OS 10.12 Sierra and most of my programs transferred. But because of the cable/adapter issue I never got around to trying iMovie with my newer Macbook. Do you think iMovie will work with OS 10.12?

Since I keep getting update notices from Apple yesterday I posted a question on this site asking if I would have issues if I updates to the most recent OS which is Monterey. I got one response telling me that any 32 bit programs would no longer work. Apparently iMovie and iDVD are 32bit and would no longer work. Plus many other programs.

Most likely I will skip the upgrade. However do you know which is the last OS that will still run iMovie? Would there be any reason to upgrade to a more recent OS?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

May 30, 2022 7:19 PM in response to tjk

Great suggestion!

I'm not sure why but It took 3 tries for iMovie to finally open on my MBA. It's iMovie version 7.1.4. I will have to get the adapters to find out if I can upload video from the camera. Then I can try to remember how it works.

Doing a little research I found that there is a newer iMovie version that requires Monterey OS. But I have to do more research to find out if my video camera would work with it.

Also I'll have to decide if updating to a newer OS version is important and necessary for my activities. I understand that without a newer version I won't get security updates.

The best bet is probably the iMovie for Mac Apple Community that you mentioned. It's a good place to start.

Thanks for the info.

I want to connect my video camera to my Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.