Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drum Replacement/Doubling with my own samples

Hi!

I've used the feature "Drum Replacement/Doubling" feature for a long time and really love it to beef up kicks, or compliment poorly recorded drums. Recently I found some great drum sample recordings that I want to use with the "Control + D" command. I should be able to load my own samples and organize by different drums and dynamics in to the "Sampler" plugin, right?

If this is not the case I would appreciate some other alternatives to augment drums with samples in a similar fashion, third-party plugins are also an option if stock Logic doesn't do it!

Thanks!

Posted on May 29, 2022 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 4:35 AM

Hey, most welcome! There are at least two ways to load samples into Logic's built-in plugins.

Number 1: Automatic conversion of audio loops / sampler to new Sampler track

Note, that this dialogue box also offers to convert a loop / sample to Drum Machine Designer or Alchemy track.

So, here a new Sampler instrument is created from Bristol Deep Break apple loop. Sampler plugin window shows "Mapping" and "Zone" sections (that's where you edit the basic parameters of the new patch). Hopefully, self-explanatory.

Sampler isn't the most intuitive plugin, by the way. But if you've been around samplers, I'm sure you could figure it out.

Number 2: Loading a sample into an empty Sampler or Drum Machine Designer plugin

Open an empty Sampler instrument, switch on "Mapping" section and use Zone > Load Audio File... option.

It's a bit different in Drum Machine Designer:

Here you'd have to drag a sample to a pad or select the patch from the Library (where, by the way, you could create and save your own user patches).

So, that's it in a nutshell. Feel free to ask further questions, if any. Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 4:35 AM in response to F1GG3

Hey, most welcome! There are at least two ways to load samples into Logic's built-in plugins.

Number 1: Automatic conversion of audio loops / sampler to new Sampler track

Note, that this dialogue box also offers to convert a loop / sample to Drum Machine Designer or Alchemy track.

So, here a new Sampler instrument is created from Bristol Deep Break apple loop. Sampler plugin window shows "Mapping" and "Zone" sections (that's where you edit the basic parameters of the new patch). Hopefully, self-explanatory.

Sampler isn't the most intuitive plugin, by the way. But if you've been around samplers, I'm sure you could figure it out.

Number 2: Loading a sample into an empty Sampler or Drum Machine Designer plugin

Open an empty Sampler instrument, switch on "Mapping" section and use Zone > Load Audio File... option.

It's a bit different in Drum Machine Designer:

Here you'd have to drag a sample to a pad or select the patch from the Library (where, by the way, you could create and save your own user patches).

So, that's it in a nutshell. Feel free to ask further questions, if any. Cheers!

May 29, 2022 8:13 AM in response to F1GG3

Hi there, as to your first question re Sampler, yes it's absolutely possible to load your own samples and organize them in that plugin as one pleases. In fact, you can automatically convert audio loops / samples to Sampler instruments and then edit these instruments to perfection.

Moreover, you don't have to limit yourself to Sampler only. Why not use Ultrabeat or Drum Machine Designer plugins? Both allow for what you describe above. And of course, there are numerous 3rd-party drum and sampler plugins (e.g. Kontakt) that you can use for exactly the same purpose (and more).

Drum Replacement/Doubling with my own samples

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.