Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you use App Store when overseas

I live in Singapore but am in Europe for 6 months.

The App Store will not allow me to download anything while I am in Europe as it says my payment basis is from Singapore,even though the Apps I am trying to download are free!

This is a strange policy from Apple.

Does anyone know how I can set up my phone tio download Apps outside my usual residence?

Thanks,

Nick.

Posted on May 29, 2022 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 12:25 PM

I have the same problem, my iPhone is registered in the US and I can't open the app store in Europe, it just not opening it saying that "It can not be open" I also get misleading messages like " You must connect to a wi-fi network or cellular data" despite I have connected to the Wi-Fi and cell data as I am able to open websites in the browser.

After speaking to the guys in the Apple store in London they confirmed that the app store in foreign phones sometimes opens in UK but most of the time not.

In the modern world, if Apple hasn't noticed that, we need to rent a car or buy a train ticket in the app as there is no option to buy it physically and obviously none of us have credit cards in all countries we visit. If I would know that this is the Apple policy to prevent me from using the app store abroad I would never buy this phone for $ 1300 to face such silly and disappointing issues.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 12:25 PM in response to nickfromsingapore

I have the same problem, my iPhone is registered in the US and I can't open the app store in Europe, it just not opening it saying that "It can not be open" I also get misleading messages like " You must connect to a wi-fi network or cellular data" despite I have connected to the Wi-Fi and cell data as I am able to open websites in the browser.

After speaking to the guys in the Apple store in London they confirmed that the app store in foreign phones sometimes opens in UK but most of the time not.

In the modern world, if Apple hasn't noticed that, we need to rent a car or buy a train ticket in the app as there is no option to buy it physically and obviously none of us have credit cards in all countries we visit. If I would know that this is the Apple policy to prevent me from using the app store abroad I would never buy this phone for $ 1300 to face such silly and disappointing issues.

May 29, 2022 7:09 PM in response to nickfromsingapore

You may only download content from the country's store where your Apple ID is located. You may not download apps, free or paid, from any other country's App Store. That has always been Apple's policy since the first day of the App Store beta program 10 years ago.

In order to change the country where your Apple ID is authorized, you must supply a local payment method, such as a credit card issued from a bank in that country with a verifiable billing address in that country.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.4; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.6; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.5; HomePods, audioOS 15.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Jun 24, 2022 1:06 PM in response to pavels144

Send your feedback to Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Current options are to switch your Apple ID to the country or region you are in, or wipe and reload the iPhone and use a second Apple ID for the country or region you are in.

Change your Apple ID country or region - Apple Support

Media and content and app providers and financial providers and telcom device requirements are generally not global.

May 31, 2022 7:24 AM in response to nickfromsingapore

Actually, it is because of content ownership, copyright.

Developers decide which counties in which their apps are available. Average small developers usually don't offer worldwide tech support. They don't want the expense of having to provide tech support to folks who download their app in one country and then take it home to a different country in which the developer did not intend for their app to exist!

Users don't get to dictate to the app owners how their app should be distributed.

how do you use App Store when overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.