Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I do not see my Apple Notes anywhere in the Time Machine Backup directories/files?

I am not able to see my Apple Notes being backed-up anywhere in my Time Machine files?

I am using MacBook Pro 2016 running Monterey.

Posted on May 29, 2022 4:56 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 31, 2022 12:41 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes, I am syncing note with iCloud. But I still would like to have hard copy of my notes on my external backup drive via Time Machine. How is Time Machine backing up my Notes? I want to the ~/Library/Containers/... according to the Apple Support links. However, there's no "~/Library/Containers/..." in my Time Machine directories.

So how can I write my Notes directory to an external hard drive for backup; that is what I need to know. I need to clean up my iCloud space. Seems like info online is going around in circle.

May 31, 2022 1:01 PM in response to meowmoose

Time Machine isn't backing up your notes, because you are syncing them with iCloud. This means any change to a note on any Apple device you own will be made across all devices. Delete a note on your iPhone, the not deletes on your Mac or your iPad and vice-versa. If you don't want to sync notes, turn off iCloud Sync of notes on your Mac and they will then be saved via your Time Machine backup. Just keep in mind, any changes to notes made on any other device will not be reflected on your Mac. And any changes made to a note on your Mac, will not be reflected on other devices.

Why I do not see my Apple Notes anywhere in the Time Machine Backup directories/files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.