Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my old Apple TV has an entirely different model number

My Apple TV has a different model number than any shown by Apples look-up page, so I am confused which version it is. The model number is MC572LL/A. It streams just fine except that it has begun NOT streaming our PBS shows lately. Occasionally I can jigger stuff around to get PBS for a little while. We miss our PBS streaming and need to know if we should buy a new Apple TV to get PBS. (PBS streaming simple says "not available currently". )

Our model seems to have been issued sometime between 2007 and 2014 perhaps. It is black w aluminum remote. It streams Netflix just fine.

Posted on May 29, 2022 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 8:20 PM

MC572LL/A

That is the order number of model number A1378: Apple TV (2nd generation).

NOT streaming our PBS shows lately.

Please inquire with PBS if they still support this model. The fact that the app icon is still there, says that Apple thinks that the service is still supported on this model. Otherwise they would have removed the icon.

Their website seems to indicate that the 2nd generation model is still supported: Videos are not playing on my Apple TV - PBS Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 8:20 PM in response to angiefromgoodrich

MC572LL/A

That is the order number of model number A1378: Apple TV (2nd generation).

NOT streaming our PBS shows lately.

Please inquire with PBS if they still support this model. The fact that the app icon is still there, says that Apple thinks that the service is still supported on this model. Otherwise they would have removed the icon.

Their website seems to indicate that the 2nd generation model is still supported: Videos are not playing on my Apple TV - PBS Support

May 30, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you! Now I know its 2nd generation! Sometimes the tricks to get PBS streaming again work for a few weeks, but then eventually quit again. I will ask PBS once more if they support this model, since I now have an actual model number to give them. In the past they have said they do support what info I did give them. I will try the plug / unplug tactic once again as that did work in the past, temporarily.

If this continues being problematic, I may need to buy a new version of Apple TV perhaps. Thank you much !!

my old Apple TV has an entirely different model number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.