Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN

In the past two days I have had to turn off VPN to enable me to connect my iPad to the internet. It shows that I am connected to wi fi but I am unable to open any of my Apps e.g. Safari, You Tube, Facebook etc 😫. Anyone know how to remedy this?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 29, 2022 10:12 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 30, 2022 3:05 AM in response to bigjock70

Whether or not a VPN will add additional security in specific circumstances requires a little knowledge. It is impossible for others to provide definitive guidance without knowledge of the network to which you are connected, the path over which your traffic will be routed, or the VPN type/connection/operator that you are using.

Unless you are running your own VPN Gateway, when using a VPN you are most likely to be using a commercial VPN service - through which all your internet traffic will be routed. A Commercial VPN can add a useful level of additional security and privacy, but can potentially introduce opportunity for less scrupulous VPN operators to snoop on some of your traffic. The decision to use a commercial VPN service is a trust exercise; who do you trust least in your communication path to the services that you wish to access?

Much of your internet traffic is already encrypted - but some of your traffic is “in clear” (i.e., unencrypted); it is the unencrypted traffic that can be intercepted, leak information and/or be maliciously manipulated. Adding a VPN connection can ensure that all your traffic is encrypted as far as the VPN Gateway where it is delivered to the internet for onward routing. At the VPN Gateway, unencrypted network protocols are again visible (e.g., DNS), however, encrypted network traffic (e.g., SSL) remains encrypted.

As such, you should now understand that the VPN connection fully protects the network path between your device and the VPN Gateway - and not the entire path to the various services that you are ultimately making connection. At the VPN Gateway, only network protocols that are “in clear” are visible to the VPN operator (such as DNS), your encrypted traffic (SSL) remaining encrypted. In essence, the opportunity for the VPN operator to abuse their position in the network path does exist, but is no greater than that already possible by the operator of the network to which your device has already connected.

It is true that some Commercial VPNs should be avoided…

Consider that all VPN services “cost” money to run - and being commercial in nature, have to be “paid for” (i.e., monetised). Free VPN services should generally be avoided if you value privacy; if you are not paying money for the service that you receive, then something other than subscription fees will be funding the service. Funding models include delivery of advertising - and or “mining” your traffic for information that can be sold to others.

By contrast, “paid” VPN services that incur a not-insubstantial subscription fee are monetised directly by service subscribers; in this model, VPN operators have a vested interest in providing secure services to its subscribers - and are unlikely to abuse their privileged position in the network path.

VPN connections are also sometimes needed to bypass some service restrictions imposed by some Internet Service Providers. By example, some US ISPs are known to inhibit direct access to POP3/IMAP Mail services of other Service Providers; for those travelling for business or vacation, blocks of this nature can introduce significant difficulties for the traveller; using a VPN when visiting such networks can allow these artificial blocks to be circumvented. VPNs are also sometimes used to bypass geographic restrictions that inhibit access to some services - such as news media.

Returning to privacy in context of VPN, when accessing the internet from your home ISP, your domestic WiFi (“trusted”) network should offer little risk to your internet traffic if the WiFi network is properly secured - allowing only devices that you trust to connect to your network. Only those devices connected directly to your domestic network have opportunity to access your unencrypted network traffic. Here use of a Commercial VPN offers little added protection - but does prevent your ISP from directly monitoring and logging your unencrypted traffic.

By contrast, when accessing the internet from a public (“untrusted”) network connection, opportunity potentially exists for all other network devices that connect to the same network can monitor/manipulate your unencrypted network traffic. Without delving into the technicalities, public connects do pose significant risk - and it is here that a paid Commercial VPN service can significantly add security and privacy.

Hopefully you are now better equipped to make your own informed decision as to when (or if) using a VPN connection is appropriate - and in what circumstances a VPN connection can improve your privacy and security.

May 29, 2022 10:25 PM in response to bigjock70

bigjock70 Said:

"VPN: In the past two days I have had to turn off VPN to enable me to connect my iPad to the internet. It shows that I am connected to wi fi but I am unable to open any of my Apps e.g. Safari, You Tube, Facebook etc 😫. Anyone know how to remedy this?"

-------

Avoid VPN Usage:

Don't use a VPN. Security Software just gets in the way on an Apple device, and this is a pure example of how and why. However, if you are required to use a VPN (i.e for work or school), then contact the Network Administrator for assistance.

May 30, 2022 12:57 AM in response to TheLittles

Are you saying to delete VPN? I have checked various websites on use of VPN and although not a “must have” majority of sites recommend using it. I am not that tech savvy, only use my iPad at home (don’t travel worldwide any more) and assumed VPN gave me protection? Funnily enough this problem has only occurred since renewal of my VPN subscription two days ago!

VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.