Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote login hangs on "starting..."

Since today I'm experiencing an issue with the Remote login functionality which is blocking.

I open System Preferences, Sharing, I check the checkbox on Remote login, and then I get the message "Remote login starting..." as in the screenshot below, but nothing happens.

If I quit the window and I open System Preferences > Sharing again, the Remote login checkbox is unchecked.

I tried to restart my Mac to no avail.

Is there any log I can check which can give me a hint about what is happening?

I checked under /var/log but I can't seem to find anything helpful.

I use remote login often, and it has always worked.

I'm on macOS 10.15.7 (19H1922)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 30, 2022 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 7:13 PM

I've had the same problem for several months on macOS Version 10.15.7 (including Build 19H2026, which I think, is the latest update as of today). But I just searched and found the temporary solution here.

In Terminal, type in and execute the following:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ssh.plist

Hope Apple will soon publish the real fix to the problem...

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 7:13 PM in response to alb-

I've had the same problem for several months on macOS Version 10.15.7 (including Build 19H2026, which I think, is the latest update as of today). But I just searched and found the temporary solution here.

In Terminal, type in and execute the following:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ssh.plist

Hope Apple will soon publish the real fix to the problem...

Jun 5, 2022 6:43 AM in response to egh01

I got in touch with Support as suggested, and apparently it's really a regression introduced by the latest security update for Catalina.

In fact, after I reinstalled my mac (which I think reinstalled a bare version of Catalina, without any security updates) Remote login was working again.

But then I installed the latest security updates (10.15.7), and soon after the system rebooted, Remote login was hanging on "Starting.." again.

I opened a bug report. Hopefully they're gonna fix it in the next security update!

So for now, either you do the reinstall and go back to Catalina 10.15.0 (but in this case you're gonna run a system which is missing important security updates*), or you just wait for the next update, hoping it's gonna get fixed by that time.

I think I'm gonna wait.

(*) Unfortunately it turns out you don't get to choose which security update to install, so it's either the latest or nothing.

May 31, 2022 6:42 AM in response to alb-

Hi alb-,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

There are some steps that we can try to fix the Remote Login settings. Please try restarting in safe mode. Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, completes a basic check of your startup disk, and clears cache. Here's how to restart in safe mode:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

This information is provided in How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

While in safe mode, go to System Preferences > Sharing and attempt to set up the Remote Login again.

Restart to exit safe mode. Please report back with the result.

Cheers.

Remote login hangs on "starting..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.