Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update iPad to iPadOS 15.5?

Hi, I want to update my iPad to iPadOS 15.5. I’m currently on 15.1. I have not updated since I got 15.1 because of my storage. I only have 4 GB of storage available. Also, does updating make me have less storage available? *sorry for bad grammar*

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 30, 2022 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 3:36 AM

If your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

When updating your devices, an update will require temporary space within which to download, unpack and install the update package. While the the space temporarily used to facilitate installation will be returned after the update has completed, you may have a little less space.

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Updating your iPad using a PC or Mac computer can reduce the amount of free-space necessary to perform the update - as the initial download, unpacking and verification is performed on the computer prior to installation. However, even this method is not possible if your iPad has too little free space.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 3:36 AM in response to azaksalmarmed179

If your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

When updating your devices, an update will require temporary space within which to download, unpack and install the update package. While the the space temporarily used to facilitate installation will be returned after the update has completed, you may have a little less space.

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Updating your iPad using a PC or Mac computer can reduce the amount of free-space necessary to perform the update - as the initial download, unpacking and verification is performed on the computer prior to installation. However, even this method is not possible if your iPad has too little free space.

How to update iPad to iPadOS 15.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.