Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low Memory notice on 24" iMac M1

I keep getting a Low Memory notice with only Mac Mail and Safari with only 3 tabs open. Activity Monitor shows Memory Used anywhere from 10 to sometimes 12 GB used and telling me that quitting some Apps might solve it. Why and what can I do about it?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 30, 2022 9:28 AM

10 replies

May 30, 2022 6:44 PM in response to AlAgee

Two things I see that are wrong with your system.

1. First is there is no evidence that you backup the computer. If this is correct this is a 100% guarantee you will lose some data. If my assumption is correct then please buy an External Hard Disk such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro and begin using Time Machine ( Back up your Mac with Time Machine ) ASAP to protect your data.
  2. Next is the report is indicating you may have downloaded some malware. Please download the free version of Malwarebytes and run it and see if it finds anything.

Other than those 2 things the computer is fine.

May 30, 2022 12:17 PM in response to AlAgee

You have what are likely self-inflicted wounds—malware—that are crashing:

You can use the path name for each offender to find and manually remove them.

You can also use the only tool most graybeards here consider safe: MalwareBytes. It is the work of a respected contributor here. The free version allows manual scans; the full version stops you from getting more garbage like that in real time. If you are prone to visit unscrupulous download hosting sites, you need the full version to save you from yourself! 😉

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac

That stuff is going to mask other issues, so it has to go first.

Low Memory notice on 24" iMac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.